1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What is the code for exterior duct in NYC

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by tatail, Jun 4, 2014.

1. tatail

tatail New Member

Loc:
    Queens, NY
    Hi everyone, first of all I would like to apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum as this is my first post.

I need some help regarding exterior natural gas duct.

So currently I have a residential property, a natural gas boiler and water heater both are vented through existing chimney.
    What I would like to do is take out the vent through the wall and ran it outside the wall.

I would like to ask you guys if there is any code that would prevent me from doing such in NYC.
    Also, what would be best option double wall or triple-wall duct?

thank you

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Your best bet is to call the local building department. You don't have to give them your name or address, just tell them what you plan to do & ask for the particulars or ask for guidance. Every town, city or village adheres to regulations & some are more strict than others. That being said, many of the newer gas burning Direct Vent units do not require much more than a PVC line with an approved cap mounted on an exterior wall. Yours may be in that category. Bottom line is to do it right & if you do it your way & the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) - ie. Building Dept. disagrees with your methods, you may run into a situation where you have to tear EVERYTHING out. Nobody needs that grief. Do it once & do it right.
    Heatsource likes this.
  3. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    Bob's advice is great,

also, what does the manual/manufacturer of these appliances say regarding how it can be vented?
    In my area if the manual says you can do it, then the building dept typically agrees.