What is the code for exterior duct in NYC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tatail

Jun 4, 2014
Queens, NY
Hi everyone, first of all I would like to apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum as this is my first post.

I need some help regarding exterior natural gas duct.

So currently I have a residential property, a natural gas boiler and water heater both are vented through existing chimney.
What I would like to do is take out the vent through the wall and ran it outside the wall.

I would like to ask you guys if there is any code that would prevent me from doing such in NYC.
Also, what would be best option double wall or triple-wall duct?

thank you

Your best bet is to call the local building department. You don't have to give them your name or address, just tell them what you plan to do & ask for the particulars or ask for guidance. Every town, city or village adheres to regulations & some are more strict than others. That being said, many of the newer gas burning Direct Vent units do not require much more than a PVC line with an approved cap mounted on an exterior wall. Yours may be in that category. Bottom line is to do it right & if you do it your way & the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) - ie. Building Dept. disagrees with your methods, you may run into a situation where you have to tear EVERYTHING out. Nobody needs that grief. Do it once & do it right.

Reactions: Heatsource
Bob's advice is great,

also, what does the manual/manufacturer of these appliances say regarding how it can be vented?
In my area if the manual says you can do it, then the building dept typically agrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.