What is the coldest temp. day you have been in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RingOfFire

If I'm not mistaken that was the winter Of 87 or 88. We had a cold stretch that lasted for about 39 days and the temperatures never got above -50 for daytime highs. That was the winter before I moved to AK. On a personal note I am quite glad I missed that one, it's kind of neat to experience something like that (for a day or two) but it gets real old real fast.

Ron

Don't know the temp but in 77 or 78, I remember waiting for the school bus in Manassas VA and if you spit, it was frozen by the time it hit the ground. If you had a cold you got frozen plugs in your nose. OUCH.

The coldest I can remember (And I know I haven't been on the earth very long yet) was a solid negative 19. THe reason I remembered the temperature is because it was the late archery season that starts after christmas here in PA. I don't usually let the weather stop me, so even though a fresh snow had fallen the night before and the thermometer said -19 when I left the house, I sat for about 3.5 hours in the freezy cold in my treestand. Saw one 6 point at day break about 65 yards off but after that the woods were as still as could be and I didn't see another animal.

I stayed until about 9:30 but my body started shaking so bad and my fingers were so numb that I was afraid I would be able to climb back down the tree in my stand without falling down it. I had so little feeling left in my arms and hands that I couldn't get my treestand cables off the tree and I had to light two handwarmers and wait to get the feeling back.

It was not a fun day and in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have been up in a tree. Oh well.

-45. Old Forge, NY.

It's been colder than -50 here (officially), but that was somewhat before my time.

BeGreen said:
We need Willhound to chime in. -35 is a warm day up north.

Me, coldest I've experienced is around -16F in Cornwall, CT. Couldn't believe how crystal sharp the air was. When it gets that cold there is a sound, everything sounds kind of crakcly and there are no birds sounds.

Here I am. Sorry, been out of touch for a few days. Coldest day in the last few years was Jan. 11, 2004 when the temp without windchill hit -43 C or about -46 F. With the wind that day it was below -60.

There have been colder temps recorded here, but I don't know what they would have been. I have heard that we've been below -70, but not sure for how long. According to weather stats, the only two months where we usually don't see temps go below freezing are July and August, but I think that they mean as an average daily temp because I can think of many early July and Late August mornings where we had frost. This excerpt 6 March 2003, Timmins, Ontario: The thermometer struggles to a high of -33.6 °C (-28.5 °F) in Timmins.
came from this website http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/almanac/diarymar.htm
that lists significant Canadian weather facts. This is in March when a lot of areas are in full Spring mode.

The one thing you can count on is that we will get consistently cold temps for fairly lengthy periods. Winter of 2003 we didn't see the top side of -30 C for the entire month of January and most of December and February as well. As others have pointed out, wierd things happen. Block heater cords, or any other outdoor wiring will snap like stale licorice sticks. Sap in trees will freeze and snap the trees. Water and sewer lines to houses freeze solid despite being buried 6 to 8' underground.

Ah...love my Summit even more now.

I also came across this chart on this website http://www.timminsedc.com/CWT-English.pdf#search='timmins%20coldest%20temperature'

This PDF was put together by our local economic development corporation as a means of highlighting Timmins as a suitabe location for cold weather testing. The rankings below are from stats for Canada's 100 largest cities.

ELEMENT RANK OUT OF 100
Most high wind chill days (-30 or less) 6
Coldest winter 7
Most freezing days 7
Most freezing rain days 7
Coldest spring 8
Coldest year-round 9
Snowiest spring 9
Most heating degree-days 9

willhound

don't need any air conditioners up there do ya?

oh and how many cord of wood a year in how many stoves????

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I went to school in Plattsburgh, NY and I recall temps down around -30 a few times a year. One morning, my roommate was in the kithchen of the apartment, with a propane tourch defrosting the kithen sink. Had his down coat, boots gloves etc... It sure was pretty though. The air would just twinkle at you in the sunlight.

Another fun cold temp was hiking in the Adirondaks one day when the temps were around -25, but at the top of Mt. Marcy the wind was ripping away at about 60mph. Very difficult to stand up and snow shoes had a tendancy to want to leave your feet...not good and VERY dangerous situation. Sure was funny getting out of a warm sleeping bag in those temps!!!
Piles of steam would come off you.

forgot to mention this one. i was up at the same friends in canaan nh one morning and we went ice fishing. it was -20 that morning. we got to the lake. drove on the ice with a work truck that weighed around 8 to 9 thousand pounds. after i said what are crazy he pointed over my shoulder to the 7 trucks parked side by side on the ice. i never did anything like this in my life so everything was a new experience including drilling a hole in the ice which took the whole 3 or 4 foot drill bit to get through to the bottom. as we would pull fish out of the water was the funniest thing. i forgot to mention the wind at 20 to 30 miles per hour. we would pull a fish out of the water and they would flop to one side flop back and freeze in that position. flash frozen fish.

fbelec said:
willhound

don't need any air conditioners up there do ya?

oh and how many cord of wood a year in how many stoves????

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Interestingly enough, we actually do need AC during July and August when temps regularly go above 30 to 35C (90F to 100F). The neat thing is the wide variability. It might be around 40F in the morning, up to 90F in the afternoon and back to 60 in the evening.

Main house just has the Summit insert and this winter I am planning on 4 full cords.

If you include a recreational property I have with main building, sauna and two cabins, there are another 4 stoves that eat another 6 cords or so a year. These aren't used full time, mostly just on weekends, so less wood burned.

I was stationed on Mt. Hebo AFS in Oregon in the early 70's .
The first year we only had 2 days without some type of precipitation.
It snowed from the middle of Nov. - April.
The winter of 71-72 we had over 380 inches of snow on the ground. We got around the base by walking through
7' diameter corrugated pipes. Wind chills were off the chart as gail force winds were the norm.
I did hear claims of 50 below but the coldest I ever experienced was a balmy -35.
I believe everyone should spend a little time on the tallest mountain within 90 miles.
On a clear day I could see Mt St. Helen pre eruption as well as Mt Jefferson , the 3 Sisters, Mt Hood, and dozens of other peaks
that escape my memory.
After that first winter I moved off base to Linclon City where the average year round temp was 72 degrees....it still had several hundred inches of rain a year.
Now that I live in Central NY. - 22 for 1 or 2 days in Jan. is as cool as we see anymore.

Don't remember the temp, but cold enough to freeze my buddies car battery into a solid block of ice, and cold enough to give me frost bite to the ears in just the few minutes it took to figure out the battery was frozen. That was in the UP of michigan in the 80's. KD

DavidV said:
Don't know the temp but in 77 or 78, I remember waiting for the school bus in Manassas VA and if you spit, it was frozen by the time it hit the ground. If you had a cold you got frozen plugs in your nose. OUCH.

It was 1978. The Chesapeake Bay froze completely over that year.

The coldest I have ever seen was sometime during the winter91 or 92 when it got down to either -38 or -42 darned if I remember which but I saw it on the thermometer. It didn't seem that cold at all and it was anything but miserable with no wind blowing. Trees were snapping and cracking all night. The most miserable I ever saw was during a nuclear weapons movement from the depot to a C 141 at Seneca Army Deopt in Feb 78. It was so windy and cold, no idea how cold but probably only -25 and a 30 knot wind, that guys were puking. And what did the cooks serve up for lunch but purple coolaid we called Jimmy Jones Juce. No coffee of course. Best thing was the V-100 armored cars the size of a BMP and 16000 lbs had a heater the size of a Buick. The air intake was inside so if you reved the engine and ran it to stay warm it was amazing. Damned thing would try to suck the air out of your lungs while you got blistered acoss the top of your forehead with high speed super cooled air via the leaky hatches. We either froze in silence or froze with the engine on. Of course if you left it off for more than an hour or so that damned Dodge 360 with the sealed intake system probably would flood and never start. The most miserable place on earth is a runway in the winter.

On Thursday, me and my highschool buddies (back in the early 80s) were going skiing. On Wednesday we got a massive dump of snow and the cold front that followed was -36 w/ a howling NW wind that brought the chills into the -60s. Do you think that stopped us from skiing? No way. So we headed out to mighty Wilmot "Mountain" (IL/WI border -- right by the famous "Gander Mountain -- yes, THE Gander Mountain which is more like a large garbage dump than a mountain -- sorry to spoil the mystique). Of course, nobody was there but us and the snow was amazing powder and deep, but we could go up and down the hill about 3 times before we had to go back and warm up (we had ZERO skin exposed) and one guy's ski snapped clean in half just because it was so brittle. But boy we had a time. Here in Rochester the lake moderates the temperature a bit, but ahhhhh the snow!

Coldest I was in was in -59. It was 1981 and I was a young buck working for an oil exploration company in northern Alberta. This was a new production field. It was so (nice words fail me) cold it was unreal. This was a production trailer camp. We did not go outside unless absolutely necessary. 4 days in, 4 days out. A contractor got his 4x4 stick on the road in that night, a good 2 hour drive on gravel from the nearest civilization. He was brought in the next morning after spending the night in his truck. This was the first and only time I saw someone whose whole pallor was blue.

Unforgettable.

I spent a week in Iceland in the USMC I don't know what the temp outside was but after about 30 seconds I could't feel my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.