What is the ideal split size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfd95

Burning Hunk
Jan 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island
Now that I am two+ years ahead thanks to you guys I find myself leaving the splits bigger than I was in the past with the reasoning that it has plenty of time to dry out. My question is should I maintain the larger split sizes or go back to my original size splits?

I go for the biggest I can fit at least two of in the stove that I have time to dry. I never seem to have a shortage of small splits.

I like to have a mix of sizes.

I'm on the same route. As I get further ahead, the bigger my majority of splits gets. However What I'm aiming for is a lot more square or block splits. I try to keep my bigger splits to be able to fits in a 3 lb coffee can area.

I don't strive for a specific split size but rather like a variety and so split everything at least in half. That said, better to have too many big splits and have to resplit at the time of need than too many small splits.

I use the 7" height of the wedge on the splitter as a gauge so I end up with no splits having a face greater than 7".

Heck, I'll sometimes split the small stuff (2-3") to use as a quick firestarter.
Other times, I'll leave rounds up to about 6" unsplit if they don't have any bark.
I have been splitting larger since I'm now over 2 years out, and that saves time all through the process. However, too big, and they get more difficult to handle......all through the process. There have been times where I've picked up a round to put in the stove and wondered what the heck I was thinking when I split it. :ahhh:
Experience has gotten me here, not any hard and fast rule. Rules of thumb are nice to use as a starting point though.

"Experience has gotten me here, not any hard and fast rule. Rules of thumb are nice to use as a starting point though."
+1

I like to have a lot of 6 inch splits to load up the stove but also need smaller to fir in the cracks to really fill up the box. I save the giant rounds for overnight burns.

I split the wood with my wife in mind. Nothing is larger than what the she can handle if she needs to load the stove while I'm still at the bar. ;-)

pen

pen said:
I split the wood with my wife in mind. Nothing is larger than what the she can handle if she needs to load the stove while I'm still at the bar. ;-)

pen

Best rationale for split size so far. ;-)

I don't think there's any such thing as an "ideal" split size. Depends on a whole bunch of variables. As has been said, I like having a variety of sizes. As has also been said, I used to keep in mind the fact that my wife (a petite but determined woman) stacked wood and moved it into the house and tended the stove...so when she was still alive and we worked the wood heat thing as a team, that was always on my mind while splitting. Since she died, I think I'm probably splitting a big larger than before. What does the stove like, and what are you comfortable handling...those, I'd say are the two questions to consider. Rick

Battenkiller said:
pen said:

pen

Best rationale for split size so far. ;-)
Ditto that

It has been said that variety is the spice of life. That can work with firewood also.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'm going to try better to mix up the sizes.

Mixed sized so I can fill in voids with smaller ones, between the larger ones.
Big ones in the middle of the load work good for me.

Yes a mix of sizes is best as many others have already stated. Since I split by hand I also look at the knots in the wood. No knots and it gets split pretty small. I won't try to pound through a knot unless I have to. Some have been so full of knots that as long as they fit in the stove I'm happy.

Mix . . . but that said like Pen I tend to find myself going with more small and medium sized splits . . . partly for my wife's ease of use and partly because I find it easier to load the woodstove with this size vs. trying to get that one last large split into the firebox and then finding it doesn't quite fit . . . and now it's on fire.

I have a Harmon multi-fuel furnace and if I have a lot of drying time, generally only split anything over 6" diameter. Like others who have posted, I try to have a large range of sizes so that I can select big ones for overnight burns and smaller ones when I need a lot of heat in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.