what is the largest number of splits you have gotten from a single round

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markam

Dec 14, 2005
I just got 29 good sized splits from a single round, which is a record for me. Just wondering who has gotten more.

I don't know how many but at 54 inch across I got them all

Attachments

• wood9.JPG
    wood9.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 322
Reactions: chazcarr
Working on some pretty big rounds of silver maple. Base is about 55" across. I'm going to guess somewhere between 25-30 splits...:)

haven't got around to splitting this yet but it should be a bunch!

I don't count the splits, but I do keep track of cordage on big rounds, and have gotten more than a third of a cord from a single round on several occasions.

IMG_0469.jpg IMG_4917.JPG

This was the biggest one I have attempted so far:
IMG_1909.JPG

I can't believe the thing split straight through.
I only made 10 splits for now, but will make them much smaller soon if it ever stops raining.

IMG_1911.JPG

I'd guess 18-20 but my splits are 4-6" at least. I guess it's on the bigger side (?) but I'm 3 years ahead so I'm not too concerned

12, maybe 13. from about a 16" diameter round with no rot in it. best i can hope for up here splitting small enough to be ready to burn in one season.

When I was in the toothpick business, I got 7.... (too many 0's). Does this count?

Reactions: chazcarr
Sure, but not everyone has serious equipment like that.
That wasn't my "Posted" sign.>>

Not everyone takes on rounds like that. There is one reason that I get more than my fair share of the big stuff. I got the tools to deal with it that makes it worth my time. If I didn't - I would probably walk away from that stuff. I retired my maul and wedges a long time ago. Big rounds make big piles of splits.

Reactions: notshubby
I have a big saw, but a lesser splitter. I used to muscle big rounds onto the splitter, set vertical, but decided that's too much effort. Now I just noodle large rounds into 8" slabs, then stand the slabs on the splitter.

Here's a 50" round I processed two weeks ago:

IMG_5128.JPG

ditto to what ashful said Im not to proud to noodle. and those were the smaller noodles the bigger ones were in the back. about 40 inch diam the narrow way.

Attachments

• 101_0639.JPG
    101_0639.JPG
    488.4 KB · Views: 145
I got nearly two rows of a 8' stack from one round, didn't count them, but I was surprised. It was the lowest thickest part. I had to split half of it in place, only then could I move it, with a dolly.

Status
Not open for further replies.