What is the life expectancy of a insulated S/S chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2009
SE Michigan
I am in my start of researching a stove/location/chimney. I consider my self pretty handy and will put in my own chimney. I am looking for longevity and performance. The S/S will be easier to install but if the life cycle is short I will go with brick. Any suggestions woould be helpful.
Thanks

SS is the way to go. Better draft. I have 3 SS chimneys in my place and the oldest is 32 years and going strong. If you use a cap and keep the water out and clean regularly so you do not have any chimney fires the chimney will last at least 32 years.

I pulled a 22 year old SS flue system when we remodeled the house. It was in great shape. As long as it is used within normal temps, a good system can last a long time.

Just pulled a 13 year old fireplace chimney out, has been used pretty hard for a pre fab, around 2 cords a year, slight surface buildup of combustion byproducts on the inside, otherwise looks like new. except where I sawzalled the first piece apart before I figured out how it was assembled.

Status
Not open for further replies.