What is the longest burn time you can reliably get out of your wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
vtdavid said:
Soapstone is radiant heat and steel/cast are convection heaters.

Either type of stove can be either radiant or convective. Radiant is the direct heat given off of the stove, convective heat is heat given from heated air circulation, such as occurs with fan and or heat shields. IE, a soapstone stove can be a convection heater if it has a fan attached. A steel stove with no shields or blower is a radiant heater.

That said, my Jotul F600 (with blower which allows me radiant or convective heat ;-) ) easily does 10 hour overnights with 200-300 degree ending temps. On several occasions I have gone 12-14 hrs and still have coals and 200 temps. Seems like the cast iron will hold that 200 for quite a while. Being kind of a homebody, 14 hrs is as long as I have left it unattended so far in the several months I have owned it, but I expect it will go a couple of more hours. For the daytime crank it up to 500 and pump the heat burns, times run in the 4-6 hr range to keep it burning above 300 with fan blowing WFO.

8-10 hours consistantly 17 years steady in my Vermont Casting Vigilant, never had a problem. I am getting 6 hours in my Jotul F400, the fire box is smaller and I don't have the thermostatically control air intake of the Vermont Casting. Love the jotul, but the VC out performs in may ways

Don't purchase a CLYDESDALE!!!!

I burn my Fireview anywhere from 8-12 hrs (burning oak) depending on the weather and work schedule. After 8 hrs stove top is around 300 or so, and drops down to 200 or less after 12 hrs. On occasion I have found enough coals for restart after 20 hrs.

north of 60 said:
they get 12 hours cause you can load a whole oak tree in them. they have a huge wood capacity, so its not a comparison to to say one burns 12 hours on 6 big splits and another 8 hrs on 3[/quote]
You can fit an Oak tree in a 2.8cuft fire box? News to me. :wow:[/quote] they advertise being able to put 80 lbs of wood in one of them. I dont give a chit how big the box is, im just quoting their ad

I will get 10-11 hours typically with my Olympic. I consider anything coming out of it above 300 degrees is still burn time. Gotta have DRY hardwood and stacked W/E ways to achieve the longer burn though..a N/S orientation will drop it by an hour

archer292 said:
Don't purchase a CLYDESDALE!!!!
why dont you like it, I heard they were decent stoves, never seen one but i thaught they were ok

north of 60 said:
they get 12 hours cause you can load a whole oak tree in them. they have a huge wood capacity, so its not a comparison to to say one burns 12 hours on 6 big splits and another 8 hrs on 3[/quote]
You can fit an Oak tree in a 2.8cuft fire box? News to me. :wow:[/quote] You know what really pisses me off. guys that run there mouth when they no idea what the hell their talking about. It is 80 lbs, and it had a 4.7 cu ft box not 2.8 like you stated. Dont be so quick to to make some one wrong. engage brain before you put mouth in gear

Hanko said:
north of 60 said:
they get 12 hours cause you can load a whole oak tree in them. they have a huge wood capacity, so its not a comparison to to say one burns 12 hours on 6 big splits and another 8 hrs on 3
You can fit an Oak tree in a 2.8cuft fire box? News to me. :wow:[/quote] You know what really pisses me off. guys that run there mouth when they no idea what the hell their talking about. It is 80 lbs, and it had a 4.7 cu ft box not 2.8 like you stated. Dont be so quick to to make some one wrong. engage brain before you put mouth in gear[/quote]

Hi Hank,
Thanx for the funny post! I know where you're coming from... That's a nice looking stove for your icon.. Is that what you heat your home with? Is that a Clydesdale?

Ray

Hanko said:
north of 60 said:
they get 12 hours cause you can load a whole oak tree in them. they have a huge wood capacity, so its not a comparison to to say one burns 12 hours on 6 big splits and another 8 hrs on 3
You can fit an Oak tree in a 2.8cuft fire box? News to me. :wow:[/quote] You know what really pisses me off. guys that run there mouth when they no idea what the hell their talking about. It is 80 lbs, and it had a 4.7 cu ft box not 2.8 like you stated. Dont be so quick to to make some one wrong. engage brain before you put mouth in gear[/quote]
Hey my brain is working thats why I replied. I noticed you were talking/stating that you couldnt compare a Blaze Kings burn time of 12 hrs to other stoves because of there fire box size... Blaze King makes more than one model. The smaller cat stove they make Has a 2.8 OK It meets these burn times with no problem. I call that comparable. Enough of who knows what there talking about. My fist plug in this thread was to inform you that there is another stove that is comparable. There not all monsters.
For what ever it is worth. N of 60

I wasnt slamming blaze king, I heard there a very fine stove. My point was with no slams against any stove was it wasnt a contest comparing two stoves of any make with different size fire boxes. the thing about a whole oak tree was a joke.

Hanko said:
I wasnt slamming blaze king, I heard there a very fine stove. My point was with no slams against any stove was it wasnt a contest comparing two stoves of any make with different size fire boxes. the thing about a whole oak tree was a joke.
I guess I misinterpreted your quotes. Sure felt that you were slamin me though as I was joking with my statement with my big mouth and not knowing what I was talking about. Any how (Another fine mess you have gotten me into.) As your signature says.
What a thread. Hope we didnt wreck it. :cheese: N of 60

I wouldnt worry about it. Its somwtimes hard to read people in these post. I wish I had a sotve that I could put a whole tree in. Id like only loading it once a week

It seemed to me we could introduce a bit of practical thinking into this thread.
How long can you burn is a measure of how much can you load into the firebox, get it hot enough to continue secondary burning then when it is all coals after which when are the coals burned down to where you better rake them forward to refire or they will be gone.

I don't burn my stove like that except for the two long burns in the 24/7 day. (while we are at work and at sleep) At those times, I do get a bunch of wood in there and turn it down: but it is not putting out as much heat as it could.

When we are getting our house up to temp we are burning much hotter, on the soapstone we shoot for 500-550; on the cast stove we used to go up to 750. (both stovetop) At those temps that same load does not last as long and we don't wait as long for the coals to burn to reload it either. When the house is up to temp and we are enjoying it, we only put in two or three splits to maintain 400-450 with the soapstone; with the cast it was similar.

So, what is really important here seems to be is the unit keeping the house warm in the varous burn types that you do, is your long burn good enough so you don't have to get up to load or come home to a cold house and is your wood consumption reasonable.

With the Mansfield I am using about 1/2 of the wood that the Defiant CAT and non-CAT used to do the same job. And, the more I get use to it, the more stable the temp is. You always have to get use to a new stove.

So, there ya go. Just a little different view on the topic.

10 hours EASY

Status
Not open for further replies.