What is the maximum width of the Northern Tool log cart?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brages

Jan 23, 2009
STL
I'm talking about the log cart with 16" bicycle wheels that Northern Tool sells. Anyone know what the maximum width of this cart is, from one axle tip to the other? Can it be simply modified to be narrowed a bit?

I have a narrow back door and stairway... Otherwise, I'd be thinking of the $50 Harbor Freight cart, but that one's 27" (could be modified to be narrower, though).

Thanks!

Roscoe Picco Chain said:
I'm talking about the log cart with 16" bicycle wheels that Northern Tool sells. Anyone know what the maximum width of this cart is, from one axle tip to the other? Can it be simply modified to be narrowed a bit?

I have a narrow back door and stairway... Otherwise, I'd be thinking of the $50 Harbor Freight cart, but that one's 27" (could be modified to be narrower, though).

Thanks!

18524.jpg

Pretty sure Pilgrim has a narrower w/smaller tires able to go through doors. Surprising NT doesn't mention the width in their link.

http://www.pilgrimhearth.com/Hearth/CarriersMenu.asp

^are those pneumatic tires? if so that would be as easy take going up steps etc. I'm thinking there must be an 800# you can call.

I have the HF cart, and as stated it is 27" to the outside of the axles, but only 11" on the frame that holds the wood, and about 21-22" between the inside of the wheels (which limits your split length, not a problem for my VC, but was a concern w/ my old stove) It doesn't look like it would be a big challenge to make the cart narrower if needed - the axle is straight w/ some pipe spacers, and the wheels are held on w/ cotter pins, so all you'd need to do is trim the lengths of the pipes and axles, and drill new holes for the cotter pins.

Frankly I don't like the design on the Northern cart in the picture - that upright cross member just seems like it cuts the capacity on the bottom of the cart and would make it top heavy. The HF cart is the same design w/o the cross member and extended front uprights. It works really well for me, holds as much wood as I can drag up the stairs comfortably, and is well balanced. The only advantage the Northern cart might have is that the way the frame runs above the wheels, you wouldn't have the split length limit between the wheels that I do with my cart, nor would you need to be as careful to keep the lower splits centered so they don't catch the spokes....

The only problem I've had with my HF cart is that the cheap tubes in the tires blew out after just a few months - I replaced them w/ better tubes from the local pedal bike shop, no problem since, but I'm starting to get some serious side to side flex in the rims - after this burning season I should probably pull the wheels off and true them up.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.