What is the most efficient way to handle long rounds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
I have lot of tree service rounds that are too long by anywhere from 1" to 6" and need to cut them to length. How do others handle this? Cut them in half and have two short pieces or cut them so one piece is 16" and the rest is an unstackable chunk?

I cut 'em in half and use 'em up here and there. Sometimes you can get two out of a long piece and they will fit N-S in the stove.

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
i second Woody. Cut them in half. 2 12's are easier to use than a 16 and an 8. IMHO

It depends on how you like your stacking, if you want as much to look perfect, 16 in with a separate section of smaller sections or if you can place the 12 and 12 near the top of your stacks......also your stove size might matter too....a bunch of smaller pieces tossed in at the same time works just as well...... Let is know what you decide.....

I have always cut one to stove length then the other part becomes part of the chunks and uglies cache. In the shoulder seasons chunks and uglies are welcome in my stove for quick heat ups. In the dead of winter, I don't like fiddling with stuff that isn't full load worthy.

Would you rather change two tires that are half flat or one that is all the way flat?

I built a box that securely holds a bunch of splits, and I trim them down to stove length. I burn the leftover chunks when I am home all day and can mess around with the stove.

I suppose it depends on your stove and how you use it. For 24/7 burning, I sure wouldn't want a bunch of 10-12" splits.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to go with 16" from each long round and use the chunks whenever.

As I am way ahead, I just cut the oversized down to my 17-18" for my stove, the rest hits the ugly pile. Lately I have just been giving the uglies away ( this is green stuff ) as I just do not have room for it. My stacks already have a healthy top section of uglies.

Prefer to cut 16" to 18" lengths and use the odds and ends to weigh down the top cover. Way I figger, I'd rather have one short stick than two.

I also do as Jags does. Cutting in half just means twice as many uselessly small pieces. I cut anything too long to 20" - 22" (my stove will fit up to 22"), and keep the shorties in a bin that gets used up in the shoulder seasons or on cold starts.

So you can load your stove with tapered wood?

semi tapered, more af a slash cut on one end. WP_20140724_07_36_13_Pro.jpg

semi tapered, more af a slash cut on one end.View attachment 135721
Looks like you'd need a custom sawbuck of sorts to hold those rounds or splits, to safely make that cut.

To each his own, but I prefer just making a square cut, tossing the 20" good piece on my stack, and the short into a bin to be used for stove start-up or firepit.

Reactions: Jags
I'm with the cut to your preferred size and throw the left over on the ugly pile group. I will go with two rounds a couple inches short, but don't want to deal with two shorties.

Status
Not open for further replies.