What is the next best firestarter after a super cedar??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Well I can not find a local supercedar retailer or an online vendor. Urbanhearth.com is a distributor for the province of Ontario only.

What is the next best thing for firestarting (other than kindling...I am too spoiled with a firestarter. It's like having high speed internet and then having to go back to a modem!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaagh).

Andrew

+1 on the Rutlands, but if you can't find them, I have taken those waxy/sawdust firelogs meant for fireplaces, and broken or cut them up into SMALL walnut sized pieces. They are small enough not to damage your stove, and big enough to get everything burning.
A shame about the SuperCedars, they are the best.

Reactions: Swedishchef
I will see if I can find some of those rutland firestarters around here...or on a Canadian website. I see efireplacestore.com also ships to Canada but that never seems to be cheap these days...

Andrew

Pine mountain brand can be bought by the box, as well. Break each one into pieces. But be warned...they ain't no Super Cedar but they do work.

Well A cylinder of propane for a torch is about 15ish. Kindling from all the sticks that fall in they yard are free. I pick them up during the year, break em down, and put them in a bin to dry. I can grab a handful if I need them. Takes about 2-3 min with the torch to catch the kindling. Cylinder lasts 1-2 seasons. I need the torch for other jobs so why buy something else?

Reactions: JoeyD
Thanks Jags. I was just reading up about those to see what the deal is/was. Some people are saying that they changed their formula and now are not near as good.

Andrew

Thanks Augie. While I completely understand your reasoning, Supercedards work much better (I find). I have used the propane cylinder in the past but you need kindling. I don't have any of that right now. And like I mentioned in my original post, I was too spoiled with them to want to go back to kindling, etc.

WHere do you live in Canada?

Whatever you do - stay away from Duraflame Stix. Them things down right suck.

I have even made my own.
firestarter2.jpg

WHere do you live in Canada?

Start in Windsor ON, Head North.........
data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,KJxNjVoTv-FyZVUcC0cAEhfhphoBWCDTgsFbL7j8Xxa7EG7Y-3j7Xc2FY6jdJ2N5nPXKAQY6eBGbbjg3v31YCKIpHYETYQPIfMKwrJd26Bf9WnX9R5YLVcbSPFVx2Wgb-tGNOMpbrx5_2FpJUY13bnT0n3sThvgLZYR8HY4PbAXsov0BZzIjDbfSjS46bDo7yY0SQeT0

I live north west of Detroit, I think it is amusing that most Americans don't get geography ;)

I have used an egg carton or two, either use leftover candles or pick some up at garage sales and make some wax fire starters with sawdust. They work really well.
Currently I have a metal coffee can with about 1-2 inches of used motor oil in it. IT is packed full of small sticks/splitting scraps. The wood soaks in the Oil and makes a homemade version of Fat wood. I know I know used motor oil is toxic.;em

Start in Windsor ON, Head North.........
data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,KJxNjVoTv-FyZVUcC0cAEhfhphoBWCDTgsFbL7j8Xxa7EG7Y-3j7Xc2FY6jdJ2N5nPXKAQY6eBGbbjg3v31YCKIpHYETYQPIfMKwrJd26Bf9WnX9R5YLVcbSPFVx2Wgb-tGNOMpbrx5_2FpJUY13bnT0n3sThvgLZYR8HY4PbAXsov0BZzIjDbfSjS46bDo7yY0SQeT0

I live north west of Detroit, I think it is amusing that most Americans don't get geography ;)

I have used an egg carton or two, either use leftover candles or pick some up at garage sales and make some wax fire starters with sawdust. They work really well.
Currently I have a metal coffee can with about 1-2 inches of used motor oil in it. IT is packed full of small sticks/splitting scraps. The wood soaks in the Oil and makes a homemade version of Fat wood. I know I know used motor oil is toxic.;em

Ahhh...a word game. Ever go shopping in Canada? You could get some fresh ketchup in Windsor ;)

I wouldn't put oil in my wood stove but I have lit fires (wet brush piles) with used motor oil in the past. Not exactly Pro-Kyoto but it worked :D

Reactions: basod
I wouldn't put oil in my wood stove but I have lit fires (wet brush piles) with used motor oil in the past. Not exactly Pro-Kyoto but it worked :D

It wont hurt a secondary type stove, and if you have a cat as long at it is burned up by the time you close the bypass you are set. But I hear ya. for the minimal amount that gets put in there per year, it isn't going to cost me a moments sleep.

Ahhh...a word game. Ever go shopping in Canada? You could get some fresh ketchup in Windsor

OR Fresh Whiskey... Canadian Whiskey

Nice Jags! How'd you make those^^

I just don't have time right now (2 young kids...). What is the best way to make a fire starter? I suppose there are lots of threads for that question, I will search the forum...

Andrew

Sigh. No shop press. AH well, worth asking. They seem really nice.
Quality control is tough and they didn't match the heat of a super cedar. I think I compressed them too much. They burned forever, though.>>

Andrew, they really aren't hard to make, nor do they take a lot of time to do so.
I use sawdust, wax, and egg cartons. TP rolls would work as well.
I haven't exactly timed it, but would venture a guess at between 5-10 minutes to make a tray of 30. I do something else while the water is boiling in the double boiler, rather than stand there watching it.

Supercedars are da bomb though.

Reactions: jeff_t
Jags: start making your logs! haha.

Firebroad: I did not check NE. I will look at their site and find out about shipping. I remember when international postage rates were cheap; it was to help propel international shipping. I can get a car here from Japan for $1500 but it costs $40 to get some firestarters from the US....

papadave: the more I think about it the more I could try..just use parafine wax? how much sawdust? PM me please!!

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew, just fill up the egg carton with sawdust, then pour wax in. I overfill, then once the wax cools, shake off the excess sawdust.
You'll figure it out.
Use a double boiler though. We found an old one at a garage sale. My wife found a milk crate full of the 1 pound boxes of "Gulfwax" also....15 of 'em.
I'm set for a couple minutes now.:cool:

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.