What is the next best firestarter after a super cedar??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That may not be a bad idea either.

I think I may have found a local vendor that can order the Rutland's for me.

Small world UMainah: I grew up in (Fredericton) and some friends of mine are going to Bangor this weekend.

Made in USA but only sold in CA?

Woa, this is a new product. You said it works well? How long does that flame flicker?

Andrew
Not sure how new they are. I generally used 1 per light-up with dry wood & without kindling. Sometimes used 2.

Agh. I still may just bite the bullet and pay for extra shipping for some SC. I will try a few phone calls to 2 places they found for me to try first..

I may be wrong on size but IIRC they were only about 1/4-1/3 of the size of a SC and I don't think they would be as easy to cut further like you can with a SC. It was 3 years ago and I only had one so my memory may be off on it.

I have been getting these Starterlogg from Wall mart for $10/box.
I cut them into small cubes, one box lasts a long time.
Not as easy to light as a SS works OK if you use a propane torch.
starterlogg.jpg

Reactions: TreePointer
I bought a box of firestarters from my local hardware store. I lit one yesterday in my firepit and was kind of impressed: it burned for about 10 minutes and the flame was 6-8 inches high.
http://www.bmr.co/en/combustible/027351-firestarter-bmr.html
It was only $6 for a box of 35 or so. I find that reasonable; at least I don't need to pay for shipping.

A local hardware store can get a box of 24 Rutland's for $13!!! No thanks.

Andrew

I use fat wood, two sticks per fire with a box and a half lasting me the season. I was running low so I picked up a box at Canadian Tire yesterday for around $15.00. I think they work great.

Being a cheap Scotsman, I use Yellow Birchbark, it's free and burns with intense heat.
I find it after the wood inside rots away, just pick it up an shake it out.
One 6" diameter tree will last me a year or two.

Quality control is tough and they didn't match the heat of a super cedar. I think I compressed them too much. They burned forever, though.>>
I make some like that. trying to get the wax/sawdust ratio down pat. Latest attempt was to try to get them soft and crumbly, they usually come out too dense. Ended up with just wax covered oak noodles, they didn't hold together at all. I may have stumbled onto something, they light like newspaper but burn hotter and longer. A small handful is all it takes.Just drop some on a hot coal and your reload is flaming in seconds.

Reactions: Jags
Fatwood, I re-split them when I get them, put a few pieces in a sheet of newspaper, 1 match and its off to the races....

I see that they sell fatwood. you said a box and a half lasts the season? Do you light your stove daily?

Andrew
Hey Andrew,
The stove runs daily but I don't use fat wood everyday unless its the shoulder season. During the cold season that lasts us mid November through mid to late March we don't use them much cause we have coals in the morning that we throw a bit of smallish pine splits on and we are off and running for the day. During the cold months we will only use them maybe 2 or 3 times a week if we leave the house for the entire day which isn't to often. I feel that our shoulder season is long on either end needing lots of cold starts. If I had to guess I would say that we would use two a day during October unless we get an arctic front. We have had cold start fires every day now for around 10 days give or take a bit. I haven't used paper since I was introduced to them. Buy a box and see for yourself and see. If you do let me know, Id like to hear what you think of them. Happy burning!

Hey Andrew,
The stove runs daily but I don't use fat wood everyday unless its the shoulder season. During the cold season that lasts us mid November through mid to late March we don't use them much cause we have coals in the morning that we throw a bit of smallish pine splits on and we are off and running for the day. During the cold months we will only use them maybe 2 or 3 times a week if we leave the house for the entire day which isn't to often. I feel that our shoulder season is long on either end needing lots of cold starts. If I had to guess I would say that we would use two a day during October unless we get an arctic front. We have had cold start fires every day now for around 10 days give or take a bit. I haven't used paper since I was introduced to them. Buy a box and see for yourself and see. If you do let me know, Id like to hear what you think of them. Happy burning!

I will get a box this week and let you know for sure! Thanks for the tip. I will burn through that box I have already purchased first though...

Andrew

I will get a box this week and let you know for sure! Thanks for the tip. I will burn through that box I have already purchased first though...

Andrew
You can split the bigger Fatwoods down with a hatchet and really make a box last a long time. You don't need but a couple of small sticks to get a fire started if you have some other dry kindling....

Status
Not open for further replies.