What is the next best firestarter after a super cedar??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I can not find a local supercedar retailer or an online vendor. Urbanhearth.com is a distributor for the province of Ontario only.

What is the next best thing for firestarting (other than kindling...I am too spoiled with a firestarter. It's like having high speed internet and then having to go back to a modem!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaagh).

Andrew

In no particular order here are some that I use

1) Regular cedar.

2) Used motor oil.

3) Regular cedar + used motor oil

4) Bacon grease

5) Bacon grease + cedar

I got used to Western red hot firestarters. Sawdust and wax. Meijer's carried them for years. Roughly, they were about 1"x4"x7" and came maybe four to a package. Would split them into eight sections by hand, but began putting them in a vise with the desired finished size in between the jaws, scoring the block with a box-knife right above the jaws, and then cleanly snapping off the top. Open jaws, snap the piece in two, and put in a container. Then put the remainder down in a the jaws a bit, score, snap, looses, snap, etc.

Then I quit seeing them in stores, checked the net, and I think Western has changed the shape from a flat plank to something far less useful to me...;)

For those that DIY... I use a silicone muffin pan. Pour the sawdust/wax mix in, let it harden and pop it right out, pre-sized. When burning on their own, I think they burned for a half hour +.

Urbanhearth.com is a distributor for the province of Ontario only.

What Canadian retailer wouldn't ship something to Quebec? They are losing money in sales by not doing it, and it's really not that hard to ship to another province, even Quebec. They're just a small town ma and pa shop I'm sure if you called those Perth folks and talked to them they'd send it.

If all falls through and you want to go back to super cedars let me know.

http://www.urbanhearth.ca

I have been getting these Starterlogg from Wall mart for $10/box.
I cut them into small cubes, one box lasts a long time.
Not as easy to light as a SS works OK if you use a propane torch.
View attachment 112919

I also use Starterloggs broken into small pieces. When I find them on sale/seasonal clearance, I get a box.

Last edited:
What Canadian retailer wouldn't ship something to Quebec? They are losing money in sales by not doing it, and it's really not that hard to ship to another province, even Quebec. They're just a small town ma and pa shop I'm sure if you called those Perth folks and talked to them they'd send it.

If all falls through and you want to go back to super cedars let me know.

http://www.urbanhearth.ca

I already spoke to them and they are a distributor for Super Cedars in Ontario only. They don't sell directly to customers. (that is what I was told....) :(

I already spoke to them and they are a distributor for Super Cedars in Ontario only. They don't sell directly to customers. (that is what I was told....) :(

Ahh so one would have to buy 'em from Super Cedar and they'll get these folks to send?

I know you can use all kinds of things as starters but if you're stuck or REALLY want them PM me, you can ship em here and I'll ship them to you.

But you don't know me, so if you're iffy about it that's fine too.

Ahh so one would have to buy 'em from Super Cedar and they'll get these folks to send?

I know you can use all kinds of things as starters but if you're stuck or REALLY want them PM me, you can ship em here and I'll ship them to you.

But you don't know me, so if you're iffy about it that's fine too.

But we do know you . . . you're Superman . . . and if you can't trust Superman, who can you trust? By the way Clark, your secret is safe with me. ;)

But we do know you . . . you're Superman . . . and if you can't trust Superman, who can you trust? By the way Clark, your secret is safe with me. ;)

As long as it stays just between us, and it NEVER accidentally gets published on a public message board. :)

Reactions: firefighterjake
LOL.

That is nice of you McKeznak but I think I will be able to get through the winter with the firestarters that I have.

Where in NE Ontario do you live? Sudbury way?

PS. I won't tell anyone your true identity.

LOL.

That is nice of you McKeznak but I think I will be able to get through the winter with the firestarters that I have.

Where in NE Ontario do you live? Sudbury way?

PS. I won't tell anyone your true identity.

More east than North, in the Ottawa Valley.

Junk mail or a match, Pick one.

HAha Seasoned Oak.. I do not receive much junk mail anymore. Not enough to light my fires, that's for sure.

The valley is really nice. A friend of mine lives in Hawkesbury. Nice place.

Andrew

HAha Seasoned Oak.. I do not receive much junk mail anymore. Not enough to light my fires, that's for sure.

The valley is really nice. A friend of mine lives in Hawkesbury. Nice place.

Andrew

Yup I'm just about 3 hours west of Hawkesbury.

You in the Montreal area?

If you want supercedars, you might call Embers in Perth. If this spin-off of embers is a distributor, maybe Embers carries the supercedars...and maybe not, since the owners of embers sold embers to the present owners, and looks like the original owners own the distributorship...not sure how friendly the two are now (_g).of well, may be worth a call.

I was given a box of the fatwood from Canadian Tire. It is inferior to both pine cones and white birch bark, by a long shot, in my opinion. I only used about ten of them all last year. Have a nearly full box. Pine cones work well as firestarters, and I imagine pine cones dipped in wax would be really hot burners.

Supercedars are the best, IMO, unless you make your own .

Don't use super cedars
I just use birch bark.
One of those super cedars came with the stove, still have it.
May need to use it someday.

Reactions: Swedishchef
I've never used super cedars but I'm curious. I like to make my own. Different kinds of wax and pinecones and cedar shavings (for rabbits and hamsters) from Tractor Supply. I save all the slivers from splitting and I save cutoffs and twigs from my fav woods.
I use cupcake tins and Gulf canning wax. Its a lot of fun but I dont think of it as a guy thing. Not that guys arent into craft stuff....

Don't use super cedars
I just use birch bark.
One of those super cedars came with the stove, still have it.
May need to use it someday.

It will be like the first time you had sex. You will want to kill yourself for not doing it before. ;lol

Thanks for the tip Rideau!

Bogy: you Alaskans always have to do things differently eh? ;) BUt I am sure if I had loads of birch bark I would use it too.

Applesister: guys do crafts! Well, some guys do. I started with my 3 year old. I made sensory bins and we make things for them!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.