What is the opening in the brick floor on my stove for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyrl

Dec 18, 2015
Midwest USA
I have a Pacific Neo stove (relatively new, used just three times so far). The firebricks on the floor do not cover a space about half the size of a brick. This is per the installation manual, and there are steel tabs sticking up in this spot to keep the bricks from sliding into it. It looks like just steel floor here, though admittedly I didn't investigate too closely before our first fire and now it's covered in ash.

What is this area for?

Typically it would be a ash dump "door". Pull the door up, scratch ash down the hole into the ash pan (if you have one, optional?), then replace the "door". For most people it is easier to dig the ashes out directly into a bucket (metal bucket BTW)...just one less step.
Oh, welcome to hearth!

Thanks for the quick reply - that makes sense that that spot would be a door if we'd taken the ash pan option.

Our stove is a Neo 1.6, series A.

Status
Not open for further replies.