What is the Primary Wood Source for Making Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkF48

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2011
Central MA
I was of the impression most pellets come from sawdust from lumber mills, but was wondering if any pellets come from tree trimming companies that chip branches and the like. This came to mind when I saw a tree outfit blowing chips into the woods during a roadside cleanup and I thought, what a waste of potential pellet fuel. Maybe too hard to control the content of the end pellet product?

Tree trimmings with have bark in the mix. Usually not a good idea.

Most pellets are made from saw dust and planner chips. Because all the bark has been removed before these processes. Some newer mills have added chipping of logs because of a fiber shortage. They use as much of the chips/dust they can get but also debark and then chip the logs to add more fiber to increase production. Some mills are 100% chips to logs. .

Status
Not open for further replies.