What is the proper flue temperature?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sl7vk

Jun 26, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
I broke down and bought an infra red non contact thermometer.... and I'm having a blast.

I'm burning right now and it is telling me that my firebox is at 550 or so, and my flue (which vents out the back) is at 400 degrees. So my question is what temps should I be shooting for? My stove specifies nothing to this effect.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if you can get accurate firebox temps through the glass. Open the door and see what you get. I suspect it'll be much hotter.

If your flue is single wall and black pipe, then double the temp for an approximation of the interior flue temps.

BeGreen said:
I'm not sure if you can get accurate firebox temps through the glass. Open the door and see what you get. I suspect it'll be much hotter.

If your flue is single wall and black pipe, then double the temp for an approximation of the interior flue temps.

Ok, opened the door, and the interior was at 995 degrees!!!!!

Flue is single wall black pipe, was at 350 during this reading.

Laser is just measuring the glass I imagine.....

So what are good temps for the flue or the stove for that matter?

Once the stove is in secondary combustion, I like seeing lower flue temps. If your flue is above 250 deg as the gases exit the cap you are in good shape. 250 is where the gases start condensing into creosote deposits.

My stove has a hot flue running about 400+ (probe temp) with the air control wide open, but as soon as I shut the air down at least 50%, the secondary burn raises the stovetop temp and lowers the flue temp. So currently I am running with a 600 deg. stove top and a 300 degree flue temp (internal flue).

Status
Not open for further replies.