What is the proper way to vent my new Harman Stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fazzer

May 26, 2008
northeast PA
Hello, I was told by 1 Harman dealer that my new stove can be directly vented outside wth no vertical pipe. The second Harman dealer said he recommends 2-3 feet vertical pipe outside just in case of loss of power so there will be no smoke build up inside the house. What is the correct way to vent, and we do loose power sometimes. Any thoughts Please!!!

Your manual states both are correct....
however the direct vent is the MINIMUM...
I had a direct connect and had no issues, but knowing what I know now I would advise the vertical rise.......

IMHO, vertical works, but a horizontal is better during power failures. You're not going to deal with much smoke as the stove is semi-sealed either way, you'll get more during a power outage if you go vertical, less horizontal as the heat from the exhaust pulls the smoke up and out. It depends on how much remodeling you'll need to do on the install, and how you use your stove. My neighbor and I have the same stove, his vertical, mine horizontal. We've lost power a couple times in the last few years, not a big deal either way. I would say if you lose power often, go horizontal, it is best overall as others have already said.

GotzTheHotz said:
IMHO, vertical works, but a horizontal is better during power failures. You're not going to deal with much smoke as the stove is semi-sealed either way, you'll get more during a power outage if you go vertical, less horizontal as the heat from the exhaust pulls the smoke up and out. It depends on how much remodeling you'll need to do on the install, and how you use your stove. My neighbor and I have the same stove, his vertical, mine horizontal. We've lost power a couple times in the last few years, not a big deal either way. I would say if you lose power often, go horizontal, it is best overall as others have already said.

I thought it was just the opposite?? If you only vent with a small horizontal run out the wall you would be more apt to have smoke issue if power goes out. If you have a section of vertical rise(most say 5 ft) either inside or out, if the power goes out, the draft will scavenge the smoke and it will not back up in the house??

I am looking at stoves and some say direct vent with horizontal is fine others say to run some vertical. I am going to have a section of vertical on the outside in conjunction with a fesh air intake to the stove.

My bad! It is exactly the opposite! Apologies.....

Status
Not open for further replies.