What is the purpose of a Woodshed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carbon_Liberator said:
Here is a picture of what it use to look like there before I put the woodshed.
nowoodshed.JPG
Oh look, you do get snow.

Spikem said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
Spikem said:
Ah, that IS the gold standard, as far as I'm concerned.

I would have two questions, though:

1. Does he do anything to shield the front face from the elements?
2. How is he keeping the wood off the ground?

Great, great design. Love how it's in "sections".
Wow! I'm truly flattered guys, thanks.

1. Does he do anything to shield the front face from the elements?
No protection shield on the front, and the bottom front pieces of wood do get a little wet when it rains and drips off the roof section and splashes in front of the wood.

2. How is he keeping the wood off the ground?
I have is drainage rock under the wood.

So would you do anything differently, if you had to redo it?
Hmmm. there was a lot of thought and discussion between my neighbor, my brother (who helped me build it), and myself that went into the design of that woodshed, so the design is pretty close to about as perfect as it could get under the circumstances. There was one small tradeoffs that effected what, I think, would have made it a better woodshed. That being the height. Because it was the neighbor's fence on the backside we had to keep the height down so it didn't look odd and block his view of the mountains. If we didn't have that to consider we likely would have made it somewhat taller. Also, if it was just a woodshed I would have left a wider spaces on the fence boards at the back for better ventilation..
Also trying to decide how long to make it was another topic that we mulled over a lot. Because I was paying for the whole shot, the neighbor would have liked to see me build it (at least the fence part) all the way to the front of our property, but because it does cramp the driveway a bit I didn't really want to build the woodshed any further into the front part of the driveway. It makes it a bit harder for getting in and out of the vehicle doors on that side. The other thing is, the ground slopes up towards the front of the property and the woodshed roof runs level, so in effect the woodshed would have been even shorter towards the front of the property.
So, not really any regret because these are not things I would change if I went back to do it again, but design considerations that could be changed if it was built somewhere else.

LLigetfa said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
Here is a picture of what it use to look like there before I put the woodshed.
Oh look, you do get snow.
Yep we get snow :)
Actually we had a lot more snow than normal last year (when that picture was taken). We likely won't get that much this year.

And the one thing Carbon Liberator's shed has that no one else has . . . the secret stash where he allegedly hides all his best, most seasoned wood. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.