What is the silver thingy on the right, and what goes in the hole on the left?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emesine

Apr 24, 2009
Indiana
Subject line says it all. This is a TACO air-scoop positioned on the hot supply line of my boiler.

Andrew

Attachments

• airscoop.jpg
    airscoop.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 321
emesine said:
Subject line says it all. This is a TACO air-scoop positioned on the hot supply line of my boiler.

Andrew

The silver thing on the right is part of the air-removal function- it's an auto air vent (these are sometimes used separately unto themselves, without the green iron scoop) in high points; I am not certain what the opening on the left is-- maybe you can find some data sheets or instructions on Taco's web site. You should definitely read the instructions on closing the thumb shut off on the silver part when you first fill and bleed the system so that the float mechanism in the scoop doesn't plug with crud any more than can be helped.

This is the first time I've ever seen an air scoop with two ports so I can't tell you the function of the tapping on the left. Perhaps one of the professional installers that frequent this forum will respond.
I do have a suggestion that will help you in the future. Get yourself a small ball valve and install it between the air scoop and the air eliminator. They are sold at most plumbing suppliers especially for this purpose (I think). It will allow you to isolate the air eliminator when it comes time to change it. They don't last forever. The ball valve has 1/8 " threads and has male on one end and female on the other.

It's a port that goes to an expansion tank if it's hung under the floor. It allows air from the system to go into the tank. I would just plug it. There should be a 1/2" tapping under the air scoop to put a diaphragm type tank under it.

Thanks to all, very helpful. I think I'll plug it with something removeable such as teflon tape. It would be a great port for adding chemicals into the system.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.