What is the "sparking"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Apr 4, 2007
Sometimes when I open the door to load, I get some sparks that want to fly out, not coals but sparks, almost like the sparklers that you have on the 4th of July. Is that from the sudden rush of cooler air, the type of wood, or something else? any ideas?

never pondered it but I get them from time to time esp if I stir up coal bed after I open the door.
It's a celebration of your lessened dependence on the foreign oil. lol

I get those sparks all the time. But I know the reason is because I burn a lot of red cedar (very dry and light wood when seasoned). You didn`t mention what type of wood you are burning.? Might be part of the cause?

Termite turds exploding.

i get this all the time. i burn oak, maple, cherrry, and some elm and hickory. they all seem to do it. been kinda wondering myself what causes it. termite terds.....LOL

i mostly have been burning oak and ash....though i have some cedar that i burn on warmer days. I will have to watch and see if it is when i put in cedar. it is interesting though.

Bugs exploding. No B.S.

When you open the door, the firebox goes from a vacuum to atmospheric, so they let go!

There you go Buckeye::

Mostly likely that most wonderful of woods --WESTERN RED CEDAR. I know that when we have company over, and they want to see and hear that crackle and the nice yellow flames, yep, I load the insert with cedar. It crackles and pops, and looks really cool.

A note of CAUTION though- we never leave our home and go away for hours on end, when the insert is loaded with cedar. Now, our insert has the secondary control, when open,leaves holes at the top, and sparks can escape. If yours is anything like this, never,never leave that fire un-attended. So, here is a push for the "big boys" pushing the newer EPA certified stoves and inserts, no worries there, ya only have the primary control, so no worries about sparks escaping thru the seconday control. I think I am correct on this, if not, perhaps some of you more modern EPA burners can confirm this. There ya go guys, have it at me!! Just dont ask me to give up my old faithful, with less than 60 cords burned to date.

Hickory seems to do it to me all the time when opening the door...kinda like the forth of July sometimes.
The large pieces of Pignut I'm burning now (once charred pretty good) can give quite the show. I've noticed lots of sparks from red/white oak, especially splits from the base of the trunk with that really old thick bark.

WoodButcher

The Tamarack I sometimes burn definitely does that, even when almost burned down to coals, and only when I open the door.

You want a light show, try some Mulberry. Got a bunch of it for last winter and my wife has asked that I not get anymore. Looks great behind the glass, but when the little light show starts up when she opens the door she gets a bit cranky about it. :)

What I find intriguing about these sparklers is that they frequently fly out of the firebox a foot or so, then burst and ignite. I would think that the firebox has to have a reducing atmosphere (insufficient oxygen), then the inrush of air rekindles some coals that are above flashpoint but aren't burning. As the coals ignite, they fling off very hot bits of charcoal which auto-ignite when they fly into fresh air.

Of course this is speculation.

holy crap thats good speculation Beanscoot.
i'm no longer a bug turd believer......I'm with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.