What is the Vesta Award CB just recieved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shagy

Jun 18, 2009
N NY
Any one know? I was told it was very prestigious. Something to do with design and efficiency of their new E Classic2400

A cursory google search would seem to suggest it is more marketing than anything. Sponsored by a magazine (Hearth and Home). I may be completely off in this assessment, for the record.

Regardless of the award received by CB - 90% of the things I've read both here and through other sources on the eClassic suggest it has been less than well received. Plagued with problems from the start. It's hard to imagine this unit winning any awards, in my humble opinion.

I find these type of awards highly suspect and often awarded by some entity related to the award winner. Kind of like when you were a kid and proclaimed youself "KING OF THE WORLD" . By the way my 6 year old has awarded me Dad of the year for the sixth straight year !

LOL, Greenwood got the award a few years ago. Stupid, when you consider that Seton designed it. Greenwood tweaked it. Dave Barber ran it into the ground.

I have noticed that CB has greatly increased their advertising presence and must be spending a tremendous amount of money marketing the E-Classic right now. That is likely due to the problems the unit has seen in the first couple years out in use. I would suspect that you would find only advertisers for that magazine winning the award and that CB is a big advertiser for them (but I have no facts to prove that...). Press releases are seen as a very valuable tool in marketing and now they get to put this award in all of their ad material. They are definitely a financial force to be reckoned with! However, these awards are typically meaningless...

Those awards are MORE than highly suspect!
First of all, you have to be willing to pay them to look at it. Then you have to display at the show.
Then the "judges" are picked with - well, who knows? I have seen a couple judges will relatively low mechanical or engineering abilities.

Another rule says the product must be ready to go to market. I have seen awards given years ago, and the products still (and maybe never) have hit the market.

Yeah, they are a marketing thing.....they have done a good job selling them, as I do hear leaders in the industry crowing about getting or wanting them. However, on the inside they are considered somewhat of a curse - some tell me the products which have received them have done poorly as a whole.

I got the info on this.. "The 2010 Vesta Awards are presented by Hearth & Home magazine .The entries are judged by independent teams of retailers,distributors,product designers,test lab engineers,affiliate leaders and industry experts."
They (CB) have totally redone the fusion chamber to a all refractory and have a 3 stage combustion process. I see on the EPA web site they did something rite ....the emissions are very very low.

I would advise being cautious about the way EPA ratings are presented. For example their combustion eff rating simply tells you how much of the wood was burned/how completely it was burned. Now if you think about it you can accomplish a very high rate of burn with a campfire & a fan....Hardly info worth hanging your hat on....Another example of how statistics are used/misused....If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance then baffle them with your bullshit.....Sad but in many cases true.

I am confused!!!! Where is combustion efficiency listed on the EPA site? If a indoor boiler had won that award it would have been well received. I find it interesting the forum is so against outside boilers even with all the improvements they have made with gasers. Some do not even consider any of these gasers. Others do not believe the EPA's listings but at least they have a listing. The inside gasers have NO public listing of efficiency's but the lord has blessed them. I find the improvements in both indoor and outdoor boilers fascinating. I would think these improvements would please more people.

I think it's great they are improving them but don't want to be a gunie pig. I would rather buy something proved reliable for many years at around the same price.

shagy said:
I am confused!!!! Where is combustion efficiency listed on the EPA site? If a indoor boiler had won that award it would have been well received. I find it interesting the forum is so against outside boilers even with all the improvements they have made with gasers. Some do not even consider any of these gasers. Others do not believe the EPA's listings but at least they have a listing. The inside gasers have NO public listing of efficiency's but the lord has blessed them. I find the improvements in both indoor and outdoor boilers fascinating. I would think these improvements would please more people.

I don't think that there is any bias against the OWB gassers. It's just that there have been some very major problems with them and the new users are being the ones proving out the units. CB has and will continue to sell boilers and it seems they have tried to address the problems. I talked to one of the co engineers at the logging show this fall and he tried to tell me they haven't had any problems but after being pressed he admitted to some growing pains.
The biggest problems I see with the units is they are or were trying to gassify in a steel chamber and they are still trying to operate as the old style OWB by filling up the huge chamber and saying you can fill them once every day or two. Gassers need to burn hot and not idle and if you fill up that big fire box and let it idle you will have problems. Have you ever talked to a CB salesman that talked about putting in storage??????????
I do think that in a few years they will become educated and understand how to make a gasifier work and will have a good product. I hope by then they will have educated their dealers also. They must or they will be out of business. Even the indoor unit manufacturers weren't pushing storage here because they knew it would push up the cost but now most will state storage is preferred. We here in the US use our systems different than in the rest of the world so storage is needed here even more than elsewhere.
leaddog

LD- The gassifying in the CB happens in the Reaction Chamber, which is lined with firebrick.

I'll agree that there is some more improvements to be made. After burning my 2300 since Dec, the biggest thing I wish for is a more controllable unit. I'd like to adjust my limits and be able to run the circs independant of the fans, WHEN I deem it necessary. In a perfect day to day warm weather scenario I'd like to run the circs ONLY 2x a day to match domestic loads. I'd like to light the boiler when I get home from work, then have it shut off and stay off at 190 until I was ready to relight it. During the winter, I'd like to be able to fiddle with the upper and lower limtis, trying to maximize burn times, reduce idle time.

I'll also agree that we the first wave or two of buyers were the guinea pigs. So far I'm pretty happy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.