What is this BIG tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Last autumn(I think) I put this tree up for ID...several ideas but nobody was sure...so, now that it's fully leafed out and has some seed/fruit showing I thought I would give it another try.....anybody?

Attachments

• P1010857.jpg
    P1010857.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 443
  • P1010859.jpg
    P1010859.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 450
  • P1010861.jpg
    P1010861.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 440
  • P1010860.jpg
    P1010860.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 423
Yep. BW.

We have other walnut trees on the property but their leaves are not as wide or as long...different type of walnuts?

It could be different. There are more than one type of walnut.

I think it is Black Walnut. The round nut doesn't look right for Butternut, the only other tree that is similar enough to confuse us. Butternut has nut husks that are pointed on the end.

muncybob said:
We have other walnut trees on the property but their leaves are not as wide or as long...different type of walnuts?

Could also be white walnut, this one throws me off of eastern tree's.

I have seen what look like two different black walnut trees and have commented before on their differences. I call them "timber BW" and "yard BW".

Yard version is a bushier tree and the wood isn't as hard/dense, straight, and has more little unusable branches. Walnuts seem to get plumper, but I don't remember the leaves looking much different.

I think it's basically just because the tree has the space to grow outward instead of competing with the other trees around and having to grow tall and thin.

Danno77 said:
I have seen what look like two different black walnut trees and have commented before on their differences. I call them "timber BW" and "yard BW".

Yard version is a bushier tree and the wood isn't as hard/dense, straight, and has more little unusable branches. Walnuts seem to get plumper, but I don't remember the leaves looking much different.

I think it's basically just because the tree has the space to grow outward instead of competing with the other trees around and having to grow tall and thin.

Really no differance on yard-birds. I check mine again and there are slimer and heavy with walnuts again this year. Its the only type of tree I look for milling.

I can't disagree with you jay, other than to say that I often see the tall heavy ones in yards (I have one in my yard), but the bushy ones like in his picture above aren't in the timber. So I guess what I'm saying is that I'd still call his a yard BW, but the ones you have been milling from yards are more like what I call a timber BW even though they are really in a yard?

Confused now? LOL.

I think I'll just call it a walnut and be happy with that! It got me to looking more at our trees though and I'm surprised by the number of walnuts we have growing here. I see on my btu chart that they rate about the same as cherry...I always thought they were higher, not that I plan on cutting any down!

Black Walnut, specifically, has a high ash content when burned. Its not bad burning stuff - I would categorize it as a middle of the road fuel, but you will shovel out the stove twice as frequently as normal. Just my experience.

Jags said:
Black Walnut, specifically, has a high ash content when burned. Its not bad burning stuff - I would categorize it as a middle of the road fuel, but you will shovel out the stove twice as frequently as normal. Just my experience.

mine to make great limber and ash! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.