what is this Bug/Larva

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg123

Jul 21, 2006
WNY
I have a old tree stump in my back yard that is really decade, I started pulling it a part and along with millions of ants where lots round channels throughout the stump and at the end was these larva things, can anyone help Identify these?. Are they Grubs?. I tore most of the stump apart should I burn it to get rid of any larva that may be left.

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 413
Looks like lunch to me!

It does look like a standard garden / grass grub. I have seen grubs in wood between the trunk and the bark ( a lot of time on healthy Elm ) but the grub is a lot thinner . You can get the spray out called 7 and will help a little . There are certain months that is best to kill grubs , around here in Nebraska that is about August for a grub granular you put on your lawn . Doing on the right month makes a world of difference . If you hit them too soon or too late you might only get about 25% of them . If its in a stump you could always just burn the stump . There is also a stump killer that you put on the stump and it breaks down the wood .

I think Roospike is right. It does look like a grass grub, and gooood to.

I had a bunch of those in a Red Oak stump last year, except they didn't have the redish tail like yours. I just thought they were an ordinary grub worm.

HarryBack said:
ah.....Larval Phase of the Japanese Beetle (Popillia japonica Newman)

Harry - I just looked up Japanese Beetle on wikipedia, it looks like this is what it is. Thanks

Picture below is from wikipedia

Attachments

• Jblarva.jpg
    Jblarva.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 306
Bugs Ants Lava never bothered me once they were placed in the stove

Might make for good fish bait

HarryBack said:
yep....Ive used them for fish bait...they work well for trout in streams!

Were you confused on which end to stick the hook through?

j/k Could not resist!

btw, that is a grub.

I'm quite certain that there is a June beetle larvae, not Japanese. Also known as the "White Grub". You can tell by the more clearly defined spots on the side. Here's a picture of the June Beetle grub, it has the clearer defined spots on the side like yours does. You did a great job on the picture taking.

Attachments

• grub9[1].jpg
    grub9[1].jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 248
Status
Not open for further replies.