1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

what is this called

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by chrisasst, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    what is a door called where the top half and / or the bottom half can open when the other half stays closed. can I make one out of an existing door.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I know them as a dutch door.

Suppose if you were really inspired and it was a solid wood door you could make your own. Biggest pain in the butt would be adding the hinges and latch hardware to the existing door frame.

[​IMG]
  3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Loc:
    Tecumseh Kansas
    We have done this many times.My best advice is to get all hinges mounted and the door swinging properly, Then cut the door in two. I would not want to use a hollow core door. Make sure that the bottom of the top section of the door is cut good and square. Then make your shelf to cap over the top of the bottom section. This way if your gap is not quite parallel you can adjust it with your shelf cap.
  4. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I am looking into putting one of these in place of the door that currently goes down to my basement. My wood stove is in my basement so when I close the door, I really keep the majority of my heat down there. Since I have a miserable cat that needs to be put in the basement so that she knows her place in my house at night, I end up w/ a problem.

I think this style door would keep her down there and let the heat up.

pen
  5. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    I'll put my money on the cat...

Gooserider
  6. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    Yeah the cat will find it makes a great place to survey the area.
    Had a cat once that mis judged the jump and ended up overshooting the shelf..
    She got stuck between the Dutch door and the screen....
  7. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Maybe get a screen door for the cat?
  8. johnn

johnn New Member

Loc:
    so.Ill
    I have one of those,,however its an entry door to the back of the house. Makes things a little more critical since it needs to seal. In your case you wont be needing the seal between the halfs. Perhaps its worth thought to leave a gap at the bottom so that the cold air will be pulled downstairs by the blower, (provided you use one). On my basement door, i can feel the cold air spilling down the first couple steps, as i come up from the basement, just by natural gravity as the warmer air upstairs forces it under the door and down. If you do have a blower down there,,im just guessing the draft would be even more?
  9. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    It might be easier to make a large face frame the size of a door. Panel the bottom and make a small door for the top of the face frame. You can still open and close the top, but the whole thing will open on the standard 2 hinges.

Matt
  10. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    All I think of when I see that door is when Lucy and Ricky Richardo lived out in the country. Didn't they have one of those doors? I seem to remember a scene with one. Anybody else or am I just making it up?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.