What is this for and how does it work - vent control?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelrat1

Dec 9, 2010
Bowie MD
I have a 12 year old house with a rather poor quality fireplace insert. The flu has problems staying closed when not in use and the is a great deal of cold air coming thru the lower louvers. I have to wedge a piece of wood to hold it closed. When is is windy outside you can feel this across the room. Here is the real question, there is some kind of vent control on the bottom left of the insert. It moves only about half an inch in and out but it seems to move more when is is moved to the right. Regardless of the position, there is a lot of cold air coming thru the lower louvers. What is this and what is it supposed to do? Naturally there is no brand name nor model number anywhere. I really don't feel like replacing it because of the expense.

Hit us with a picture of this thing. We have rotten imaginations.

"cold air coming thru the lower louvers"

When you say, "lower Louvers"...It sounds like a Zero Clearance insert look for a name on it. That lower louver lifts up and out should be some tag to help identify the insert if you can't find it inside it. You probably have a outside air vent that is what cools these ZC stoves when burning but when your not it is like having a window open. Pictures are always better.
md

Status
Not open for further replies.