What is this.....fungus on a white oak???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intheswamp

Hearth Supporter
Jun 25, 2010
South Central Alabama
I planted four white oaks along the back of the yard about 15-16 years ago. A few years one of them died, leaving three. I found this on one of them yesterday. It's pretty but something tells me to get rid of it. Anybody got an idea what it is?

Thanks,
Ed

FW-_20110402_0400Medium.jpg

Adabiviak said:
I believe that's a gall, probably from some local variety of wasp.

Shouldn't kill the tree though?
Well, if it's a gall I'll leave it be. I wasn't sure what it was, though I'd seen them before...I added the info about one of the trees died in case it was something bad. Thanks for the information.

Ed

Yes, it's definitely a gall/wasp. It will turn brown after awhile and will not harm the tree.

Galls are supposed to be fairly harmless unless you get tons of them. You can prune them off, but I think the pruning would be about as damaging as the gall.

We get those here another one that looks just like it ( might be the same one further in the season) that the tree covers with a green leafy growth. Also little spangle galls that look like the leaves broke out with zits.

Just a little wasp / bug.
Caterpillars usually cause more stress to a tree if there are enough of them. I'll spray and kill caterpillars any any oak transplant for at least 5 years until the roots have recovered and the young tree establishes itself. Oak apples I ignore .

Yup. Those things are all over the oaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.