What is this on the end of my splitter's hydraulic shaft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, while splitting some gnarly red oak with my Huskee 22 ton (model 1032822), this screw vibrated off and fell to the ground. It's a screw, washer and a spacer. This was the only hole in which it appeared to belong, and the paint pattern suggested this is the correct orientation. I'm not sure, though. The washer is too big to lay flat on the surface of the cylinder, so it hangs on the lip. The spacer is the right size to keep it there.

Do I have this replaced correctly? What's its purpose? The manual doesn't reference it.

lo6WV69.jpg

5p41S5L.jpg

Not 100% sure but I would maybe expect there should maybe be a rubber gasket/washer under the steel washer too? Maybe a bleed hole?

EDIT: Did you run it after you put it back in? Did it leak?

Reactions: 120inna55
The screw is used to prevent the cylinder head from coming loose.The head end of the cylinder is either threaded or held in place with a snap ring, the screw is there to prevent the head from turning loose.

Mine came loose once, put a bit of loctite on it, good to go.

Not 100% sure but I would maybe expect there should maybe be a rubber gasket/washer under the steel washer too? Maybe a bleed hole?

EDIT: Did you run it after you put it back in? Did it leak?

I was using it in the vertical position when it came out. There's no telling how long it ran that way. It's a wonder I even saw it. I put it into horizontal position and used it that way for probably another hour. No leaks. Fluid level normal.

The screw is used to prevent the cylinder head from coming loose.The head end of the cylinder is either threaded or held in place with a snap ring, the screw is there to prevent the head from turning loose.

Forgive me, I'm real dim on what you're saying. Can you elaborate?

Here is a pic of a cylinder that shows 2 different ways of preventing a threaded fitting from backing out.
A socket head screw prevents the hex shaped rod wiper retainer from coming loose. A set screw is used to lock the collar that retains the cylinder head.

Attachments

• cylinder head retainers 002.jpg
    cylinder head retainers 002.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 171
Here is a pic of a cylinder that shows 2 different ways of preventing a threaded fitting from backing out.
A socket head screw prevents the hex shaped rod wiper retainer from coming loose. A set screw is used to lock the collar that retains the cylinder head.

Got it. Not having a good understanding of hydraulic shaft design, I couldn't see how the screw was holding anything in place. I didn't appear that once piece would come apart from the other. In other words, I couldn't conceptualize the cylinder "head" even though I was staring right at it. Your pic helped to illustrate it for me. Thank you.

Mine came loose once, put a bit of loctite on it, good to go.

I think I'll use some Loctite. Do you think medium/blue is the best option?

I have that same hole but it never had a bolt in it. I was splitting some oak knots last year, when the cylinder came to a stop a few drops of fluid dripped out of that hole. When I got it home I cleaned it up and the threads were painted. Mine is 3 years old and it hasn't hindered anything yet, so I am not going to worry about it.

That screw keeps your head from coming loose. I can't say it will or won't come loose on you, but you will know if it does. It won't be explosive, but you might get covered in oil and your cylinder will most likely be ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.