What is this shredded mess?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Picked up these rounds from a friends burn pile. They were nicely stacked, just waiting for me. Now I know why someone didn't want them.

Attachments

• shredded split.jpg
    shredded split.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 486
American Elm
That's what a lot of twisted grain will do
Ones that grow on a fence line or out in an open field are the worst

I thought it was elm too.

Ash at its worst...................ask me how I know.::P

Hackberry does that. The bark doesn't look quite right for Hackberry. We have a ton of it in this area an I burn a lot of it. Straight pieces are easy. Knots and crotches aren't worth messing with.

Many species can do that. Pictures of some rounds showing bark and end grain before being split would help.

From what I can see in the picture, my guess right now is a shagbark hickory.

Reactions: Applesister
Here's another. Also think its elm.

Attachments

• shredded split again.jpg
    shredded split again.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 261
Got any bark pictures?
Bark was all gone except the one pic (first in thread). That was why I thought it was elm originally. The round with the bark I thought was unrelated.

elm

I have both here cottonwood and elm. I had to split both also.
Definitely not cottonwood the bark is not thick enough and the elm does shred like that
sometimes.

The bark looks like neither cottonwood or American elm, so I'm not sure what you've got. The cottonwood here has big thick bark and has always split easy. Elm is the only wood I've dealt with that will split like that.

What does it smell like? Is it solid enough to burn or is it shredded because its rotted ?

Bark looks thin and gray, and not scaly or plated. Light-colored sapwood, possibly darker heartwood? Bark is not elm or ash.

I have had soft maple do that to me before, especially on knotty or twisted pieces. Also might be beech.

Sweetgum does that, too. A shredded mangled mess. Gum usually isn't too bad splitting after the rounds have set a few months.

Reactions: CTYank
Here is the last picture of it stacked. There is also some cherry mixed in. I think there were three varieties in this scrounge. Cherry, elm and this other stingy mystery wood with the grey scale bark.

Attachments

• shredde stack.jpg
    shredde stack.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 197
Here is the last picture of it stacked. There is also some cherry mixed in. I think there were three varieties in this scrounge. Cherry, elm and this other stingy mystery wood with the grey scale bark.
Lol
The top 2 pieces look like eagle wing wood ! Seriously I never came across wood like that

American Elm. I have quite a bit of it still unsplit. Not looking forward to it!

any tree will do that if it was located in a windy area, ask me about the two maple trees in my back yard, they gave my hydro a good run for its money, old timer came over and said "look at that twist, its from the wind"

The bark doesn't look anything like American elm, IMO. It's a lot smoother and shows plating and patterning of a shag. (Pictured below is a cropping and magnification of original.)

MysteryWood20141230_zps046e6d5d.jpg

Coming from NNJ, I'll say its a maple that has been cut about 1 or 2 ago

Status
Not open for further replies.