What is this shredded mess?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bark doesn't look anything like American elm, IMO. It's a lot smoother and shows plating and patterning of a shag. (Pictured below is a cropping and magnification of original.)

MysteryWood20141230_zps046e6d5d.jpg

I agree the bark is to smooth for elm

With that last picture, I'm even more certain that it's silver maple.

Picture in post #20; the bark looks like American Elm, and where you can see the ends and insides of splits, they too look like American Elm.

I agree that the bark in the magnified pic looks closer to maple, but not that stuff in post #20. Also, I've never had any maple that wasn't just about effortless to split.

Whenever it gets figured out, it will still be good to go 2 years from now, give or take, any wood split up is great wood....
Hopefully you get your answer....

Looks to me like elm. Shag Bark doesn't split like that. Elm does. I split up a big one- heavy, twisted, etc.. But yeah, I'm on the elm side.

You have a good point that that a lot of elm, in general, does split like that. From my own experience, I've left some shag for a year before splitting, and they turned out to be some nasty stringy buggers--just like pictured above. Those pictures show seasoned butt ends and even some yellow fungus, indicating that they've been around a while before splitting.

My problem with the ID of elm for that wood is that the bark doesn't look like any American/white or slippery/red I see around here.

We can try this...

Here's an American Elm I dropped a month or so ago. gzecc, did your rounds look anything like this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419986732.981407.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419986740.430774.jpg

Looks like a shreeded Elm mess but the bark says otherwise , if a barkless piece has a smooth surface with a lot of bug activity - then Elm
Hard to tell from pics and that looks like its been around for quite a while, at any rate it is still some btus in the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.