What is this stuff in my yard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lumberjack, the circles are from the Tenacity. Not exactly sure which bit you're seeing, but some of the Nimblewill had started to go dormant before the application. That stuff was more yellow-gray-brown kind of stuff. I've never counted how many species of grass are growing in my yard, but their name is Legion for they are many. Always battling the Creeping Charlie, clover, dandelions, moles and stuff, but this Nimblewill may have been hitting20+% of the yard.

Lumberjack, the circles are from the Tenacity. Not exactly sure which bit you're seeing, but some of the Nimblewill had started to go dormant before the application. That stuff was more yellow-gray-brown kind of stuff. I've never counted how many species of grass are growing in my yard, but their name is Legion for they are many. Always battling the Creeping Charlie, clover, dandelions, moles and stuff, but this Nimblewill may have been hitting20+% of the yard.
I wish I had your (lack of) problems.

I wish I had your (lack of) problems.

How bad is your yard? In 12 years, I've brought in 40 yards of topsoil to rebuild eroded hills, cleaned up and repaired after 11 major trees came down, roto-tilled every inch of the yard, applied skids of sod and a few hundred pounds of seed. I'm pretty happy to get to this level of triviality. :)

How bad is your yard? In 12 years, I've brought in 40 yards of topsoil to rebuild eroded hills, cleaned up and repaired after 11 major trees came down, roto-tilled every inch of the yard, applied skids of sod and a few hundred pounds of seed. I'm pretty happy to get to this level of triviality. :)

In 20 years I have mowed the weeds perhaps 35 times. My lawnmowers don't wear out, they rust out.
I have what is known as a Cape Cod lawn. Since I live on the edge of an estuary no pesticides, fertilizers or anything else is ever poured on my soil. On the other hand, every place is upstream of something.

In 20 years I have mowed the weeds perhaps 35 times. My lawnmowers don't wear out, they rust out.
I have what is known as a Cape Cod lawn. Since I live on the edge of an estuary no pesticides, fertilizers or anything else is ever poured on my soil. On the other hand, every place is upstream of something.

I was wondering if your situation was something like you described, given your handle. I was imagining that half your property might be gone one day, and then double some other day.

I've cooled my jets putting stuff on the lawn over time. But my erosion problem was severe when I moved in. In the back, it was so bad that terracing crossed my mind as a reasonable solution.

Regarding being upstream/downstream, I'm fighting a battle with the township to police the developers who have overloaded the creek that borders my property. The creek used to be 30' from my back line, and in 5-6 years some of it is now 15' away. Getting that addressed has become VERY complicated. At least my yard has stopped vanishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.