1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What is this super yellow non-locust wood I have here?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by NoPaint, Jan 23, 2012.

1. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    I had a buddy leave me some wood so I can stretch my new Huskee 22ton's legs. What do I have here? Its real yellow but not locust.

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    Looks to be Mulberry. Said to be good wood, haven't officially used mine yet. But its related to Hedge.
  3. Constrictor

Constrictor Member

Loc:
    Home of the white squirrel Missouri
    What you have there is hedge aka osage orange
  4. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
    +1 Mulberry, splits easy. Love it.
  5. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    It does look pretty mulberry to me now that you mention it. I hope its good and hard so I don't get all those wood boring ants in it :/
  6. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Mulberry. Those ends were probably a lot brighter yellow when it was cut. Let's see a fresh split.
  7. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    Take a look at a recent thread about the Golden Wall. That thread has great pics of Osage Orange (aka Hedge) that look a lot like your wood.

Edit: I don't really see Hedge or Mulberry firewood very often, but I bet it is one of the two.
  8. KarlP

KarlP Feeling the Heat

Another vote for Mulberry. My favorite firewood! Burns great but sparks like crazy after one summer of seasoning. The fireworks show isn't as spectacular the 2nd year and it burns even better then.
  9. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I'm pretty sure that is NOT hedge because of the way the bark looks. Is the sap super-sticky? If so, it could be hedge....and a very funky looking one at that. I'm thinking Mulberry too.
  10. dannynelson77

dannynelson77 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    PA
    Mulberry......good stuff! Just am finishing up about a half cord of it thats been split/stacked for almost 2 years.....coals VERY well!!
  11. CTYank

CTYank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW CT
    If you'd disclose your location, it'd help greatly in filtering guesswork.

Being in "USA" doesn't help much. Witness protection thing?
  12. hareball

hareball Member

Loc:
    Jersey shore/pines
    Here is a round of mulberry. I split this April 2010, just burned a few splits the other night and it put on a big show!

[​IMG]

Split
    [​IMG]
  13. seeyal8r

seeyal8r Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Central Oklahoma
    I've got a load of mulberry at my house. Looks exactly the same. Definitely not bois darc.
  14. wishlist

wishlist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Corunna, Michigan
    I'm not sure what you have nopaint but I'm 100% sure that splitter needs to get dirty! You must have read the manual, I see its set to split correctly! Congrats on the new splitter, it will serve you well. :)
  15. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    Looks like mulberry to me and I have burned tons of it. Great all around for the stove but, stinkbugs Love to winter over in it. Whenever I bring it into the house the buggers are flying around for hours. I had to buy a butterfly net to capture them in-flight after a couple died and got cooked on the top of the stove...............Not a pleasant smell
    jimbom likes this.
  16. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    Interesting to hear this-its all over the place here East of you like a weed!
  17. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    Have something that is a deeper red but has the same white stripes on the outside before the bark? Red oak or something else?
  18. hareball

hareball Member

Loc:
    Jersey shore/pines
    Rory, here is a red oak

[​IMG]
  19. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Absolutely Mulberry,one of my favs.Very widespread around here though not found in whole stands like most other hardwoods.Usually I get some each year,everyone one wants them gone from their yard,even the fruitless male ones it seems.

Apr. 2007

Apr.2010

June 2010 cut 2 months w/green sprouts

Attached Files:

20. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I like how it goes from super-bright-haven't-peed-in-12-hours-yellow to deep, rich, dark brown after a couple of days in the sun.
  21. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Here's a recent load of hedge for comparison:

Attached Files:

22. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    Late to the conversation. Lots of what people call "fruitless" mulberry in Sacramento, grown on city and suburban lots. Fast growing shade tree. It is a water seeker, roots grow into waste lines and trunk roots tend to grow above ground and into driveways. I had a big one I had cut down, took it to the dump. This was before I took to burning wood, had no no clue at the time. A neighbor around the corner is cutting one down, I have been loading it up, he is grateful not having to haul it off himself. I have a few truckloads from craigslist also. This is the only thread I have found at Hearth on mulberry. Not much anywhere else either. I have never burned it myself, but I read somewhere else it is similar to pear, is good for smoking meats, may be good for the next pork roast.
  23. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Yeah, that stuff is a whole 'nother magnitude of yellow.
  24. Gark

Gark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Mullberry around here is often riddled with 3/16" oblong channels made by some hungry wood chewing bug. The tunnels are usually close to the heartwood/sapwood border and the bugs shove mountains of sawdust and frass out of the holes. Not unusual to see pyramids of the sawdust on the splits under the one getting chewed. Mullberry burns great. Good score!
  25. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Do a search on mulberry in this forum. There are lots more threads on this wood.