What is this thing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechanical harvesters ... that one appears to be a more advanced one with measuring for log length and delimbing. They used to make snipper style harvesters. That one probably still needs a human to sharpen the chain though;)

Did a quick check ... operators earn around $30/hr. The cost of the machine would be big... a 1999 Ponsse Ergo (in Michigan) goes for $98,000 Cdn.:eek: No small chunk of change for 16 year old machine...

Reactions: chazcarr
Called a Feller-Buncher I'm pretty sure. Watch some American Loggers or Swamp Loggers and you'll see one in use quite a bit.

Reactions: TreePointer
Can I rent one from the big orange box store?

Actually that is a processor. It may also be referred to as a CTL or cut-to-length machine . A forwarder then hauls the sawlogs on its bunks to be loaded onto a truck. A feller buncher cuts a tree then bunches them for a skidder to drag out to the delimber that then stacks the sawlogs to be loaded and hauled away. CTL is great due to the low environmental impact (they drive on the piles of the treetops). However they can't cut/process big wood (~22 inch plus). Around here operators get $16-$25 an hour.

A feller buncher cuts a tree then bunches them for a skidder

Thanks for the clarification. I don't get to see much forestry action around here and didn't realize there was a distinction between the Feller-Buncher and (new to me) a CTL.

They are both impressive. Check out some videos of each.

A guy I see at motorcycle rides from time to time, went to work for John Deere. They are producing a new line of those machines. He's been running around the country monitoring the status of the beta versions. All the videos I've seen the trees look small. Like to see it take down a 3' oak in the woods here.

Status
Not open for further replies.