What is this tool? Antique Pickeroon, maybe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I picked up this item for $15. Very rough hewn metal but does not look at all like it has been cut down from another tool, like a pick axe. Thirty inch handle. The handle is very solid but also very light weight. If it's not a pickeroon I'm sure going to use it as one.

pickeroon2.jpg

pickeroon1.jpg

Ken, From the picture I'd be concerned about it keeping its head on. Could be a threat over quite a radius (heavy pointy metal.)

Might just want to put the $15 "blue light special" on display, and get a well-made pickaroon/hookaroon. Just be aware of the questionable quality of the knock-offs of the LogRite tools sold at Northern Tool. The old-style tool is available from Peavey and others.

My bet is that you'll be using the tool a lot, so it's good to go for quality.

Maybe nothing to do with cutting wood. Maybe for lifting the bottom edge of a 50-gallon drum, or somesuch?

CTYank said:
Ken, From the picture I'd be concerned about it keeping its head on. Could be a threat over quite a radius (heavy pointy metal.)

Might just want to put the $15 "blue light special" on display, and get a well-made pickaroon/hookaroon. Just be aware of the questionable quality of the knock-offs of the LogRite tools sold at Northern Tool. The old-style tool is available from Peavey and others.

My bet is that you'll be using the tool a lot, so it's good to go for quality.

It's not a "blue light special" in that it is not a new, super cheap-o knock off from Harbor Freight or whatever. It looks to be extremely old and hand made. The head is on quite secure. I honestly don't know how one properly uses a pickeroon/hookeroon. But this tool is lightweight and can easily snag wood from the bed of my pickup truck or trailer that I would otherwise make me climb up in there to retrieve.

Kenster said:
I honestly don't know how one properly uses a pickeroon/hookeroon. But this tool is lightweight and can easily snag wood from the bed of my pickup truck or trailer that I would otherwise make me climb up in there to retrieve.

Still learning, myself. It's essentially an extension of your arm, with a steel finger frozen at 90 degrees to the shaft. Keeping your fingers safe.

You can use it casually, as you would a hoe, for dragging stuff out of a pickup bed, or you can swing it so the hook grabs into the end grain or through the bark. Then you can drag the piece along, on the ground for example, while you stand upright. There are supposedly tricks to disengage the hook with the wood in motion- working on that.

Available in many designs and lengths- suit yourself. Aluminum handles are really light. (By "blue light special" I was alluding to the $15 price.}

I've given it a few test swings. It's so light that just a flick of the wrist plants the point into the side of a round. The point isn't really very long so I don't think I could plant it deep enough to actually lift a very heavy round or split but it will do great for dragging them out of the truck or off a pile and over to where I'm sitting at the splitter. I think I'm going to like it. I try to live by the Code of Scrounging and keep my tool expenses down to minimum so I would never have bought a new tool like this. But for $15, why not?

$15 is a great buy!! My 4' handle one was considerably more but I don't mind as it's one of the best tools I've bought for handling a truck load of rounds/splits.

Kenster said:
I honestly don't know how one properly uses a pickeroon/hookeroon. But this tool is lightweight and can easily snag wood from the bed of my pickup truck or trailer that I would otherwise make me climb up in there to retrieve.

Sounds to me like you know how to use it. I have a 36" one that I use to drag logs and rounds around with. I also use it it to turn rounds on end so I can split them. Saves the hands/gloves and the back. I have a 6' one that I use to pull logs and rounds out of the truck. Great tool you have there. Very handy. the more you use it, the more uses you will find for it. A well spent $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.