What is this type of wood? (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopernator

Jul 5, 2011
U.S.A
www.woodheat.org
Having problems in identifying this wood type. Its probably a soft wood but none the less it was free well if you count hauling it out of the wood s plus gas and oil and gas getting there lol.
When I cut it it was reddish/pinkish in the middle well hopefully the pics will do some justice on the identity of the wood, thanks.

Attachments

• wood-1.jpg
    wood-1.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 514
  • wood-2.jpg
    wood-2.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 497
  • wood-3.jpg
    wood-3.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 495
I'm no wood expert, so I won't speculate. I will suggest that narrowing down your location from "USA" a bit might go a long way toward ID'ing this wood. Rick

Chopernator said:
Yeah your right sorry lol Indiana (central)

That should help narrow it down. Rick

Box Elder, would be my guess. Im not sure on the leaf pattern, but the red and the wood pattern match pretty close to that of it.

Yeah it seems close to Box Adler but not sure.

what do you think about cotton wood burning any body ever burn any how long does it last?

Chopernator said:
what do you think about cotton wood burning any body ever burn any how long does it last?
It's about like Pine; 16 M BTU per cord, burns up fast. Should dry fast, though, if you need it for this year.

Split one and take a pic....

Not willow, not chestnut - pics show compound leaves. Box elder for sure - compound and 3-5 leaflets per leaf, green twigs, opposite apparently and bark is dead on for box elder. Cheers!

looks like boxelder to me or I should say it looks like some of the boxelder I cut last year.

Thank you everyone that have looked and provided info on it... thank you again!!!

CASE CLOSED. lol

Chopernator said:

Cottonwood is loaded with moisture when you cut it but once it is split it tends to dry fast. It will end up being very light. It will give you a hot fire and is good for daytime burning or burning in spring or fall. In some areas, like out west in places like Wyoming, cottonwood is about all they have to burn. They seem to get along just fine with it too. However, one should keep in mind that it takes no more work nor time to cut better firewood so take the best first but if cottonwood is what you have, I say burn it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Chopernator said:

Cottonwood is loaded with moisture when you cut it but once it is split it tends to dry fast. It will end up being very light. It will give you a hot fire and is good for daytime burning or burning in spring or fall. In some areas, like out west in places like Wyoming, cottonwood is about all they have to burn. They seem to get along just fine with it too. However, one should keep in mind that it takes no more work nor time to cut better firewood so take the best first but if cottonwood is what you have, I say burn it.

Well thanks for the info I have quite a bit of it. Thats what I was thinking burning it during the fall and spring...thanks.

Chopernator, you might send a PM to fire_man (Tony) to ask about that cottonwood as I think he burned quite a bit last year. Seems to me he liked it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.