What is this white flaky stuff growing out of my steamer pot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will need a picture. It could be many things, but probably calcium/minerals from the water evaporating..

Try rinsing with vinegar or CLR...

Its due to hard water, water softener is what you would need but pricey just to remove calcium build up on kettle. Tho overall would really help on other appliances and faucets.

I still get it with a softener. Its just hard water...just wait until you get a humidifier...

What DD said. The only way to stop it is to use distilled water. Even water that's been run through a reverse osmosis system has enough minerals to be problematic over time (though it is much better than straight tap water and cheaper than distilled).

Soft water actually has just as many parts per million of non-water stuff in it as hard water. The sodium from the salt is exchanged for the calcium/magnesium/some iron which eliminates many of hard water's nasty properties (soap scum, scaling in pipes, etc.)

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01970.jpg

Oh well. I'm not all that worried about it.

I'm not buying water softeners or distilled just to feed the steamer.

Thanks gang

Kids did not want to tell dad they sneezed by the stove! :lol:

dog.jpg

:) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.