What is this wood? Splits Great!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

777funk

Sep 12, 2014
MO
I don't know what this is. It burns a little fast and not as hot as Oak or Hickory but I love splitting it! Where Oak can sometimes bounce the Fiskars right off, this stuff is easy. One tap and it's done. Love splitting the stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_0036 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0036 (Medium).JPG
    218 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_0035 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0035 (Medium).JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 383
Wormy Shagbark, maybe long dead.
Still standing?
Stack that on a pallet away from your other hickory. Bug central.
Hickory must be like roses.

I don't know what this is. It burns a little fast and not as hot as Oak or Hickory but I love splitting it! Where Oak can sometimes bounce the Fiskars right off, this stuff is easy. One tap and it's done. Love splitting the stuff.

If the round on the floor is from the same tree, then I vote shagbark
My doubts are the worm holes.

bob

This was standing dead wood (no branches just main beam)

It smells different than Shagbark and is a little more shiny/silver on the bark if that makes sense. It doesn't burn as hot either and splits great (unlike Shagbark which can be ok to very hard to split). I have a lot of Shagbark Hickory here. Love that stuff! But I don't think this is a piece of it.

100% hickory the split and the one on the ground.

The smell seems different than Hickory and it splits WAY easier. I guess maybe the rot and worms could contribute to both of those. The bark looks a little more silver though (in person) than Hickory so that throws me off a bit.

Its definitely Shagbark hickory. I was joking about it being in the rose family. It is very attractive to wood borers(like rosebushes and apple trees.)
Sad fact of life.

Another vote for hickory. Pure speculation but I'd guess that standing dead for enough time probably allowed for ease of splitting.

x8 hickory

Status
Not open for further replies.