What is this wood that I can't split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
azsteven said:
PA. Woodsman said:
That's great...but what kind of wood IS it?

One more guess...
I was walking from work to the car today and I saw one whose bark looked pretty similar. Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum).

Then again, most of the Japanese Maples around New England are short ornamental trees (about 10' tall). The one I saw today was more like 30' tall with a 10" trunk diameter. But I don't know any other maples with purple leaves.

There is a variety of Norway Maple that has purplish leaves. It is fairly common as a planted shade tree.

Wood Duck said:
azsteven said:
PA. Woodsman said:
That's great...but what kind of wood IS it?

One more guess...
I was walking from work to the car today and I saw one whose bark looked pretty similar. Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum).

Then again, most of the Japanese Maples around New England are short ornamental trees (about 10' tall). The one I saw today was more like 30' tall with a 10" trunk diameter. But I don't know any other maples with purple leaves.

There is a variety of Norway Maple that has purplish leaves. It is fairly common as a planted shade tree.
Crimson King Norway Maple - maroon leaves . I have one in my back yard. Except for the interesting colour I wish I had never bought or planted the thing.

Japanese maples leaves look more like marijuana leaves and I've only seen green or red ones.(maples)

billb3 said:
Crimson King Norway Maple - maroon leaves . I have one in my back yard. Except for the interesting colour I wish I had never bought or planted the thing.

Japanese maples leaves look more like marijuana leaves and I've only seen green or red ones.(maples)

I looked at some bark pictures of King Crimson Norway, and yes, that could be it too.

azsteven said:
billb3 said:

I looked at some bark pictures of King Crimson Norway, and yes, that could be it too.

It's a shame no one guessed Maple...oh,wait.... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.