What is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
What is this thing behind the clutch? It is an O19 Stihl. I was cleaning it and saw this wire like thing that is kind of floating behind the clutch. This wire kind of is hooked on the end and rotates all the way around behind the clutch. I can see no groves from it or from where it might go in a fixed place.

This is the first time I have pulled the clutch weights out. The wire was loose before anything was taken apart.
Also since this saw was new it has leaked oil like sieve when it is stored. I have to drain the oil out everytime I am done with it or my storage box will be filled with it. Any ideas on that. I do not notice it leaking while using it in operation. NO drips below me if cutting the wood that I have ever noticed.

It has been a great saw and is around 10 years old. It has cut lots of cords 14" bar on it.
saw002.jpg

FORCE FAB said:
oil pump drive

Are you sure? It is not locked to anything to turn. It was floating around in there (wire thing held up by pick) other than being wrapped around shaft behind the clutch it is loose like a key on a key ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.