What is worse?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Hello all. So here is what I have. A very strong draft that once the fire is going the flue temp rises REAL fast up to 700-800 in no time at all and if I don't close the air down a lot the flue will rise and rise to 900-1000. If slow down the air control the wood does not char and I do not get any secondary burn. I can close the flue damper a little and keep the air control open more that keeps a steady flue temp. By doing that I get a lazy flame and a little brown on the window edges. So what is worse? I'm thinking my wood is to dry. I'm burning 2 year old red and white oak with a little ash add to start the fires out. The Ash is 1 1/2 years old. All my wood is top covered only. Also this year when I clean out the chimmeny I sealed the all double wall pipe joints. I just don't any fires again this year. I had a small fire/ flue gas fire last year. To much unburned gas going up the hot flue. Any thought would be great. Thanks fespo

What type of stove do you have? How long have you had your stove? What's the chimney diameter and height? Two years of seasoning for oak is very nice. Should not be too dry. I think it's highly unusual for wood to be too dry. Obviously you have very good draft. I would think this is a chimney issue or operator issue, ie finding the sweet spot between flue damping and air intake.

Personally I see eight and nine hundred degree temps on all three of my stoves at startup. Along about 900 I close the air down to 50 percent and they go about their start-up business but the flue temps start backing down.

Gasification sends some hot stuff up that pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.