What is your opinion of chainsaws over the years?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eisele

Mar 21, 2009
South Jersey
Hello everyone I am new to this page but have learned a bunch of good information here about the wood burning buisness so thank you very much. I am curious about opinions on newer and older versions of chainsaws. For example I have a two year old Stihl Ms 310 20" saw and I like it very much but I also inherited a Stihl 011av 16" saw from the late 80s that is a really bad ass saw. Now these two saws take care of all of my needs from felling to bucking logs but I have to say the older 011av is a much better saw in my eyes. It has served my family well for over 20 years with minimal problems and still saws like a beast. Dont get me wrong the Ms 310 is a very good saw but its just not as good as the old 011av. Such as having to stop and clean out the bar and slots so much because the 310 gets clogged with wood chips and stops throwing enough oil. To the amount of power the 011av throws out it definatley feels like it has more balls to me than my bigger ms 310. But I have to say I enjoy the starting system, oil and gas cap design and better chain tension location on the newer saw. But on the newer saw everyting is plastic and the older saw not. I guess they just dont make them like they use to. I only hope the Ms310 serves my family as well as the good old 011av has because that would make a big statement in my eyes about Stihl saws.

My first saw was an early 70s 041. It was given to me by my father who bought it for $50 at a garage sale in the mid 80s. I gave it away about 5 or 6 years ago because it let me down twice in one season. My buddy rebuilt the carb and is still using it. I don't think you could ask for a better saw.

I bought an MS 290 to replace the 041 and I've used it a ton, never done anything to it but shake out the air filter a few times. It's been flawless.

Eisele said:
For example I have a two year old Stihl Ms 310 20" saw and I like it very much but I also inherited a Stihl 011av 16" saw from the late 80s that is a really bad ass saw. Now these two saws take care of all of my needs from felling to bucking logs but I have to say the older 011av is a much better saw in my eyes. It has served my family well for over 20 years with minimal problems and still saws like a beast. Dont get me wrong the Ms 310 is a very good saw but its just not as good as the old 011av. Such as having to stop and clean out the bar and slots so much because the 310 gets clogged with wood chips and stops throwing enough oil. To the amount of power the 011av throws out it definatley feels like it has more balls to me than my bigger ms 310.

Try a 16" bar on your 310 and you should see/feel a significant difference.

As for the older Stihls, I swear they were built to last a lifetime. Glad to hear the old girl is still serving you well!

The only bad part with stihl, is while the saw may last a lonnnngggg time, parts become unavailable very quickly.... For instance, that 011av you have, hardly anything, including simple stuff like the gas tank gasket and ignition coil, are available anymore..... With stihl, most of their saws have no parts to speak of available after 9-10 years......... Which is unacceptable if you ask me......

Older Stihl parts are around if you know where to look. I have bought several older saws for parts and also find alot of parts on Ebay. I only use older Stihl saws because I'm stubborn and have used them all my life. I still use my two 1984 Honda Big Reds to draw out wood. I have three 041 farmboss and one 041AV. I justed picked up an 045 Super and have an 075 that I might still fix up. In my opinion, the newer saws are not as well built as the older saws and alot of people who fix saws tell me the same thing. I can also pick up older saws for a good price compared to the newer saws. If you use good clean gas, keep the air filter clean and keep the saws well maintained, I find that they don't let you down. I cut with three saws. When one runs out of gas, I use the next one and so on. I don't like to let any saws just sit around for to long.

North Border Homestead said:
Older Stihl parts are around if you know where to look. I have bought several older saws for parts and also find alot of parts on Ebay. I only use older Stihl saws because I'm stubborn and have used them all my life. I still use my two 1984 Honda Big Reds to draw out wood. I have three 041 farmboss and one 041AV. I justed picked up an 045 Super and have an 075 that I might still fix up. In my opinion, the newer saws are not as well built as the older saws and alot of people who fix saws tell me the same thing. I can also pick up older saws for a good price compared to the newer saws. If you use good clean gas, keep the air filter clean and keep the saws well maintained, I find that they don't let you down. I cut with three saws. When one runs out of gas, I use the next one and so on. I don't like to let any saws just sit around for to long.

Somebody on this forum stubborn, and likes to do things their own way??? How is that possible? ;-)

i've run them all......from a 3120 120cc on down to 340 40cc.you gotta have many saws to have the right one! its all in what & how you wanna cut . but if you got'em, you always got the right saw for the occasion.

th_Feildtestingfactoryproto-type3120.png

the big saw for big wood

fyrwoodguy said:
i've run them all......from a 3120 120cc on down to 340 40cc.you gotta have many saws to have the right one! its all in what & how you wanna cut . but if you got'em, you always got the right saw for the occasion.

th_Feildtestingfactoryproto-type3120.png

the big saw for big wood

You didn't fall that tree in NH

Status
Not open for further replies.