What is your worst Craigslist story?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
Think I learned a lesson today. If I cannot see a picture of the wood or the location is not close enough while running an errand to swing by and look it over, then I am not even loading up and starting the truck.

Guy tells me that he has a 36"+ red oak on the ground and that it is probably 3 truckloads worth. When I get there, there is a single piece of 36" oak on the ground (i.e., what he could not split with an axe and wedges) and then the rest is some tough stuff to split by hand. Not only that, but at most we are talking about a single truckload, if that. Maybe the guy is used to miniature trucks and cannot tell the difference between red oak and the other tree, who knows. However, he sure was burning the green red oak in his insert no problem.

Then I am sitting there wondering why a wood burner would actually be giving wood away. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Promised the guy via e-mail I would take all of it, so going to head over there tomorrow with the splitter and take all of it anyway. Lesson learned.

Now, I want to hear what you guys have been through so I know what else to look for before going to these things. And here I thought I was going to be posting pictures today of a massive red oak scrounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.