What kind ash do I have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newman7786

Jul 13, 2013
Greenleaf WI
This was my Sunday work with the family. This tree was down after a big rain the beginning of summer. It washed down into a creek bank and got hung up there. My wifes uncle found it and said that he wanted it but called today and told me he didnt have time for it. Drove over to Grandpa's land and starting cutting! Got it all cut up but notnhauled up the hill. No leaves to identify, but any guess on what kid of ash? Any pointers on how to tell the difference I am all ears! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20141005_145932_resized.jpg
    20141005_145932_resized.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 20141005_145926_resized.jpg
    20141005_145926_resized.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 20141005_145917_resized.jpg
    20141005_145917_resized.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 20141005_145042_resized.jpg
    20141005_145042_resized.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 193
Looks like White; Split grain pic should help confirm it.

A picture of a twig showing buds and leaf scars is very helpful.

Last edited:
It does look exactly like a White Ash I got done processing. It's hard to believe that thing moved but when the water is moving astonishing stuff happens.

Last pic makes me wistful for the days when I was cute (well, that's what my aunts told me)...

Thanks for the replies. I am hoping to get the splitting done later this week. Have to haul it out of the woods yet. There were no upper leaves or branches left on the tree . Made it really nice because i didnt have to do any limbing. I was surprised too that the creek could move a tree of that size. That was my helper for the day, my son Lincoln.

Got it all cut up but notnhauled up the hill.
Just a heads-up; Don't leave those rounds on end for any length of time (sounds like you are getting them soon,) they'll suck up water like crazy. If you have to leave rounds out there, lay them on their sides. White Ash actually holds up pretty well; I've found some that were down for a while but still in pretty good shape.

Just a heads-up; Don't leave those rounds on end for any length of time (sounds like you are getting them soon,) they'll suck up water like crazy. If you have to leave rounds out there, lay them on their sides. White Ash actually holds up pretty well; I've found some that were down for a while but still in pretty good shape.
My father in law gave me that advice once. I didn't listen and a week later the rounds were stuck to the dirt with fungus growing on them and where I double stacked they were cemented together. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

Nice score!

Nice score. I have about a cord and a half of white ash that I'll be burning this year. First time burning ash. To those that know, how is it?

Nice score. I have about a cord and a half of white ash that I'll be burning this year. First time burning ash. To those that know, how is it?

It's very consistent, easy to light, and therefore very predictable. Doesn't throw sparks like Osage or Black Locust. Seasons quickly, but not instantly. Right at the bottom of the "very good" BTU charts. Possibly a little acrid out of the stacks. I wish everybody could get it and use it as a reference point - heavier than, splits easier than, lights quicker/slower than, seasons quicker/slower than, etc. Due to the EAB, it's on the menu here for the next several years.

Reactions: AnalogKid

It's an all around good wood .... doesn't burn as long or as hot as some of the primo woods, but seasons quickly and is typically easy to process. Not a primo wood ... but if I had to choose only one wood species to process and burn I would choose ash.

Reactions: AnalogKid
What kind ash do I have?
Unburnt! ==c...;hm sorry, I'll let myself out

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Well got some of the wood split today. Doex this confirm that its white ash? Split like a dream too. Half heartledly swung my 8lb maul at it and away it split. Should be good firewood for next year. Some of it was around 35% when I checked it with the MM.

Attachments

• 20141012_171143.jpg
    20141012_171143.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 87
Except for the poles on the bottom, this is 100% white ash. MS-290/20" on top for size reference. The wood is of fairly consistent light color, and there is no large dark heartwood as is shown in your photos. The darker rounds on the bottom are also white ash, but they have seasoned for a year.

WhiteAsh006.jpg

I think those heavely furrowed ash barks are pretty old. Count the rings for us to confirm.

White ash is also very stringy when it splits. I have alot of ash like you have I don't think its white ash. The white ash does not really change color twoard the center.

Status
Not open for further replies.