What kind of bug is this in my firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rich1220

Jul 18, 2014
New York
Been lurking a few times and figured I join. You guys are a great community.

I have these flying bugs that are burrowing in my firewood. I literally hear them chomping away. Any idea what they are. They are pretty small and have red abdomens. I'm worried that they are near my roof also where the wood is exposed under my roof shingles. I don't want them in my house damaging the wood in my attic. Thanks

bug 1.jpg bug 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Neobellamira delicata australis lol....I typed, "black wood boring beetle with red abdomen" and this was one of a bazzilian choices that almost could be it. Common name Longhorned flower beetle. Its larvae stage is inside wood. Adults eat flowers, lay their eggs on wood, then burrow into the wood to emerge and start over. I didnt research it too deeply.

Neobellamira delicata australis lol....I typed, "black wood boring beetle with red abdomen" and this was one of a bazzilian choices that almost could be it. Common name Longhorned flower beetle. Its larvae stage is inside wood. Adults eat flowers, lay their eggs on wood, then burrow into the wood to emerge and start over. I didnt research it too deeply.

Thanks for the reply but that is not the bug. It looks similar. But my bug is completely black on the top and has a red abdomen. The bug you showed has a black and red top

It's either a blister beetle or a old house borer. My guess. The red abdomen is throwing me off.

It's either a blister beetle or a old house borer. My guess. The red abdomen is throwing me off.

Pictures and descriptions I see of these creatures do not match what I am seeing swarming around my wood piles. Mine look just like rich1220's pictures.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Pictures and descriptions I see of these creatures do not match what I am seeing swarming around my wood piles. Mine look just like rich1220's pictures.
Yep. Mine was a guess without the red abdomen. Maybe a bluster beetle and a box elder bug got together==c It's a mystery.

Hey, Rich, I think I may have ID'd these guys. I'm gonna say it's a Braconid wasp, probably of the genus Atanycolus. Try googling that and you'll get a ton of images that seem to match. Let me know if you agree.
Here's the coolest part: they're not destroying our wood! Guess what they are doing? Parasitizing wood-boring larvae!!! There's research going on to see if they can be weaponized for the war against the EAB.

Reactions: Shawn Curry
Hey, Rich, I think I may have ID'd these guys. I'm gonna say it's a Braconid wasp, probably of the genus Atanycolus. Try googling that and you'll get a ton of images that seem to match. Let me know if you agree.
Here's the coolest part: they're not destroying our wood! Guess what they are doing? Parasitizing wood-boring larvae!!! There's research going on to see if they can be weaponized for the war against the EAB.

Those are it!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much

I can hardly get over the awesomeness of this. We assumed they were "chomping" our wood because of the sawdust all around where they were active, right? Turns out they're going in there and killing the bugs that really are making the sawdust. Too cool.

I can hardly get over the awesomeness of this. We assumed they were "chomping" our wood because of the sawdust all around where they were active, right? Turns out they're going in there and killing the bugs that really are making the sawdust. Too cool.
whoda thunk it.....learn something new every day in this forum :)

That's good news indeed. We don't have the EAB here yet, but it's nearby. I have a lot of nice white ash on my property that I'm not quite ready to burn yet. I'm hoping that the maturity of my woods and diversity of hungry woodland critters it contains can help with the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.