What kind of bug is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
This was living in some elm that I split today. What the heck is it? I am bug illiterate.

Attachments

• DSC04677.JPG
    DSC04677.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 628
  • DSC04678.JPG
    DSC04678.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 677
I've seen that before.

That bug was one of the leads in "Mars Attacks". I swear to it.

:cheese:

I've seen them and their grubs in elm and in spruce, maple and bl walnut. It is not an Ichneumon wasp, They dont have the coloring and their abdomens are more stout and what looks like a stinger is too short (nice link by the way Alan) but I can't tell you what they are. They do bore some pretty deep holes in dead wood and seem to be "everywhere" in my area.

It is more purple in color and is much longer than what the site says should be the length. It flies like a dragonfly and buzzes.

does it have big mandibles? could be a dobson fly? they get really big and ugly

I had a bunch of big, white larvae in some dead elm I was splitting back in February. I wonder if that is what they would've become if I hadn't introduced them to the Wisconsin winter.

I am not an entomologist but me thinks it may be a Pigeon Tremex. It is a type of wasp. Google it and see if it's a match.

It looks like the Pigeon Tremex is the winner. Thanks for all your expertise on this issue.

Thanks, Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.