what kind of corn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironpony

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2010
mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
being that i live in central ohio and when i look outside as far as i can see is cornfields,
is this the corn i would burn??, plenty of local mills and farmers
how dry does it have to be??
anything special to consider??
suppossibly the harman will burn 50-50 pellet corn mix
and from what i've read corn burns hotter
thoughts?

ironpony said:
is this the corn i would burn??, plenty of local mills and farmers
how dry does it have to be??
anything special to consider??
suppossibly the harman will burn 50-50 pellet corn mix
and from what i've read corn burns hotter
thoughts?

You need shelled corn, moisture at about 12-13%.

Corn doesn't burn hotter. Wood pellets are from 8000+ BTU's, corn is 7000

Only thing I noticed about the corn/pellet mix is that the corn seems to make everything move through the hopper & auger easier.

Corn does not burn hotter(as macman said), But it does take longer for it to burn. Mixing gives the best of both IMHO. But I have found 60/40 pellets to corn(or less corn) seems to be the a good ratio. Good heat from the pellets and reduced feed due to the slower burning corn.

Don't forget to check the vent pipe and see if its corn rated. If your pipe isn't corn rated you should not burn any corn at all. Better to stay with just pellets. Corn is very corrosive and attacks the burnpot and vent pipe. Some say it also attacks the stove and will reduce its life overall.

Just curious as to what corn price's are in your area?

I get mine at a local feed store....when I asked for "Shelled" he went huh? They call it "whole" corn rather than the alternative Cracked corn which is basically corn pieces..They have it in 80 lb bags and in bulk.. I use about a bag per 2 - 3 weeks mixed in with my pellets..as Macman says the corn dust seems to lubricate the auger and pellets ..everything slides nice and smoooooth!!

Corn here is 8.20 a 100# bag. I do use it as a 60/40 mix and ir burns well. Just ask your supplier what corn they have for burning they will know.

woodsman23 said:
Corn here is 8.20 a 100# bag. I do use it as a 60/40 mix and ir burns well. Just ask your supplier what corn they have for burning they will know.

Must be nice to have some farmers there that are asking reasonable prices. Around me, even the farmers are trying to hit a home run on the corn....best price I could find was about $6 for a 50 lb bag. Not worth it....I'll burn wood pellets.

macman said:
woodsman23 said:

Must be nice to have some farmers there that are asking reasonable prices. Around me, even the farmers are trying to hit a home run on the corn....best price I could find was about $6 for a 50 lb bag. Not worth it....I'll burn wood pellets.

$12.50 for 80 pounds here as well

I get them for a feed supply store called perice milling, they have a mill attached right there they fill the bags and lay them at the door, 100# sacks are heavy my wife always complains about lifting them when we go there.... i don't get it.... :)

woodsman23 said:
......100# sacks are heavy my wife always complains about lifting them when we go there.... i don't get it.... :)

Women are always complaining about the littlest things. :)

macman said:
woodsman23 said:
......100# sacks are heavy my wife always complains about lifting them when we go there.... i don't get it.... :)

ain't it the truth, She was complaining about carrying 2 100# bags and now she only has to carry one give me a break geez

woodsman23 said:
macman said:
woodsman23 said:

ain't it the truth, She was complaining about carrying 2 100# bags and now she only has to carry one give me a break geez

True story:

Once upon a time, a Prince asked a beautiful Princess....
'Will you marry me?'
The Princess said, 'NO !!!'
And the Prince lived happily ever after
and rode motorcycles and went fishing and
hunting and played golf and drank beer
and scotch and had tons of money
in the bank and left the toilet seat up
and farted whenever he wanted.

The end.

jtakeman said:
Corn does not burn hotter(as macman said), But it does take longer for it to burn. Mixing gives the best of both IMHO. But I have found 60/40 pellets to corn(or less corn) seems to be the a good ratio. Good heat from the pellets and reduced feed due to the slower burning corn.

Don't forget to check the vent pipe and see if its corn rated. If your pipe isn't corn rated you should not burn any corn at all. Better to stay with just pellets. Corn is very corrosive and attacks the burnpot and vent pipe. Some say it also attacks the stove and will reduce its life overall.

the only prices i have seen are all around 8 dollars for 50 pounds
seems like it would just be easier, cost effective to stay with pellets
wouldn't have to mix, and no varmits looking for food in the storage area

ironpony said:
jtakeman said:

the only prices i have seen are all around 8 dollars for 50 pounds
seems like it would just be easier, cost effective to stay with pellets
wouldn't have to mix, and no varmits looking for food in the storage area

I would expect cheaper prices for you. I have a local farmer producing stove corn for $6.00/50 lbs bag. Still cheaper for me to burn pellets. But one must have options if pellets hit the skids again.

Just my 2!
jay

that was without much shopping, might find some cheaper
still even at the same price as pellets, would it really be worth it
might be worth trying
just seems like more work

Status
Not open for further replies.