What kind of elm is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
Neighbor lost a major branch of a tree in recent storms, so I cut it up and hauled it off for him. I'll get the rest of the tree shortly, as he's having it taken down. Pretty sure it's an elm by the leaves and the barnyard smell of the wood. But to my surprise it splits clean and easy, quite unlike what I associate with american elm, at least. So what do I have? If it means anything, the wood was covered in flies, ants, yellowjackets, and some other wasps, so the sap must be really sweet or something. The crown picture is just of what's left of it, there used to be several more like that.

I don't know what the original owners of the house were thinking, but this tree was planted about 1 foot from the basement wall where all the utilities enter. One major surface root actually curves around the corner of the house.

Attachments

• IDcrown.jpg
    IDcrown.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 274
  • IDleaves.jpg
    IDleaves.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IDtrunk.jpg
    IDtrunk.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 273
Agreed, it looks like Siberian. It isn't very dense and is not very good firewood. Hard species to get rid of...

There were some heartwood pieces that seemed almost dry and very light. Ah well, shoulder wood for next year.

American Elm has big leaves, Siberian Elm smaller leaves. There are other ways to tell them apart, but not in a photo. The leaves look kinda small, so perhaps it is Siberian Elm. I am not real familiar with Siberian Elm - do they get as large as this tree?

Even larger - I have three of them in my front yard 24-30" diameter. There were five, I've taken two down, and these three's days are numbered.

Status
Not open for further replies.