What kind of Fisher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RLJ

Oct 20, 2015
Northeast Texas
Hi All
Long time browser but newly joined. I have been look at a fisher online that the owner says is a Papa Bear,but it has two doors and looks like a 8" vent on top. Can anyone tell me from the picture what it is? and will a 6" pipe aready in place thru my fireplace chimney work with a 8x6 reducer at the stove?And how long are the legs?
Thanks
RJ 00Z0Z_7JSWviXC0OB_600x450.jpg

Grandpa.
It will physically work fine reduced to 6, but installation codes do not allow reducing flue size. The code is written to avoid reducing the correct size smaller than it should be. This is an instance where the stove was designed with the larger 8 inch outlet for open door burning with screen in place in Fireplace Mode. Many are reduced and work good with proper draft.
Leg length original was to be 31" rear, 25 " front. This normally gives 7 inch floor clearance plus ball if equipped to level on uneven surface. Corner / Leg material is 3/16" thick X 1 1/2 inch angle iron tapered to 1 inch at bottom with 4 inch taper. (not all fabricators tapered legs) Many were cut down to fit under hearth which is fine if on solid cement or non-combustible. When used over combustible floor with floor protection, 6 inch clearance to floor minimum is required.
The manual for this stove is here;
https://www.hearth.com/images/uploads/Fisher_Manual.pdf

History and details of your model here;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-grandma-and-grandpa-bear-details-fireplace-series.69448/

Grandpa.
It will physically work fine reduced to 6, but installation codes do not allow reducing flue size. The code is written to avoid reducing the correct size smaller than it should be. This is an instance where the stove was designed with the larger 8 inch outlet for open door burning with screen in place in Fireplace Mode. Many are reduced and work good with proper draft.
Leg length original was to be 31" rear, 25 " front. This normally gives 7 inch floor clearance plus ball if equipped to level on uneven surface. Corner / Leg material is 3/16" thick X 1 1/2 inch angle iron tapered to 1 inch at bottom with 4 inch taper. (not all fabricators tapered legs) Many were cut down to fit under hearth which is fine if on solid cement or non-combustible. When used over combustible floor with floor protection, 6 inch clearance to floor minimum is required.
The manual for this stove is here;
https://www.hearth.com/images/uploads/Fisher_Manual.pdf

History and details of your model here;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-grandma-and-grandpa-bear-details-fireplace-series.69448/
Thank you so much, I love reading all the posts on this site.
This one may be a little tight to go into my fireplace spot. I am looking at a Mama bear but it vents out the back like most of them do. Has anyone ever moved the flue outlet from the back to the top? My neighbor is a certified welder and said he could probably do. Thanks
RJ

Sure can. Cap the existing vent pipe and use new 6 inch ID for top or side vent.
Be sure the outlet pipe extends down into the firebox 3 inches below the top.

Sure can. Cap the existing vent pipe and use new 6 inch ID for top or side vent.
Be sure the outlet pipe extends down into the firebox 3 inches below the top.
Thank you for the reply. About how far from the back of the stove should the edge of the pipe be?
Thanks again.
Rick

Depends on installation. Put it where you need it. The farther back is best, (also for larger upper cooktop) but in the case of pipe clearance to the rear, you may need it farther forward to have the minimum 18 inch clearance for single wall pipe to rear wall. (above rear shield)

Depends on installation. Put it where you need it. The farther back is best, (also for larger upper cooktop) but in the case of pipe clearance to the rear, you may need it farther forward to have the minimum 18 inch clearance for single wall pipe to rear wall. (above rear shield)
Thank you very much, You have been great.
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.