what kind of glass cleaner do you use ????????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I do, I found a wet rag dipped in a bit of ash has taken care of it. Rinse the rag, wipe the glass clean and off I go.

Hey, do want heat or do you want to gaze at flames ?
Do you want tuna that tastes good, or tuna with good taste ?

Our ceramic clear door inserts are cleaned only for :
1. Company.
2. Romance.
3. Orders.

Read above using ash, vinegar and H20, or a single edged razor blade used for glazing or paint on windows. Most of the time, it is either burned off or stays dark. We use the stoves for heat.

Rutland works for me. Tried the ash, and vinegar... neither seemed to take off the brown stuff. It doesn't seem to burn off either... maybe with hotter fires this week... expecting high 20's overnight.

I was reading over on the pellet board that someone recommended the use of the Tide Magic Eraser, takes the stuff off with no problems. Gonna have to give that a try next time.

will have to try ash with water... can't get much simpler.

been using simple green for a glass cleaner, works fairly well.

Northern NH Mike said:
When I do, I found a wet rag dipped in a bit of ash has taken care of it. Rinse the rag, wipe the glass clean and off I go.

_CY_ said:

Northern NH Mike said:

I'm no chemist, but I think water and ash turns to lye and it is the caustic nature of the mixture that does the trick. The spray I bought a while back is the same type of chemical except it is messier to use.

Rutland for me too. I tried the ash, newspaper & water. It made a nice mess.

We use bottled water and a paper towel...applied with a leather glove.

Meeco makes a product that works really good, I have to let it sit a little on the really baked on stuff, but does great. Aluminum wheel cleaner spray works great too. These doors are basically like the pyrex baking dishes, any non-abrasive cleaner. If you use the ash method make sure it's only the fine ash or you can scratch the glass.

My vote is for the Rutland stuff... "Conditioning Glass Cleaner".

Did I try the ashes and newspaper trick? Yup! I then had some microscratches... I don't want to scratch up the glass on my $3400 investment.

What's a bottle of the Rutland stuff cost, $6?

It cleans beautifully and a bottle of it will last a long time.

My 2 cents...

How about 1000F in the firebox. Usually takes care of dirty glass for me.

Jim

fuweasel said:
i use rutland glass cleaner is there anything better ????????????
I tried the following Rutland product for glass cleaning and was disappointed.
http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=42

I had Timber brand cleaner before that worked really well but you had to careful with overspray as it ate paint and rusted everything. Can't seem to find it anymore so I wonder if they went out of business.

I tried Imperial's Clear Flame and also their Gas Fireplace Glass Cleaner. They require more elbow grease than Timber. Clear flame is thicker than Timber and Rutland so you have time to catch runs. Gas Fireplace Glass Cleaner goes on like car wax and conditions the glass.
http://www.imperialgroup.ca/product.cfm?navcategory=5&category=16&product=363

I told once : the best "cleaner" for the soot coated clear ceramic is a new, sharp single edged razor blade-- in a holder if you have fear.

Do I not have credibility ? This is a direct order.

Do it. THEN, and only then, use whatever liquid magic you prefer. This will not be repeated. This will not be repeated.

_CY_ said:

Northern NH Mike said:

I tried this and holy easy! I wiped off the remaining with a damp sponge and it looks like new.

Another vote for the Rutland!

fuweasel said:
i will try the single edged razor blade , thanks guys .

Be careful to use it the same as a window glass scraper for paint; best in a holder. Any caked on creosote/soot comes off easily. Finish with plain water and your ash :lol: if needed.
My attorney says: "Use at your own risk. " :roll:

You are dismissed.

do you mean the simple green?

it works quite well.... easy as pie

davenorthshorema said:
_CY_ said:

Northern NH Mike said:

I tried this and holy easy! I wiped off the remaining with a damp sponge and it looks like new.

_CY_ said:
do you mean the simple green?

it works quite well.... easy as pie

davenorthshorema said:
_CY_ said:

Northern NH Mike said:

Actually, it was a damp newpaper dipped in ash that did it. No need to spend money on simple green when you get the circular for free and a little water and ash. very simple

The Rutland cleaner works great. Especially in the corners of the glass where the airwash sometimes misses.

Status
Not open for further replies.