What kind of glass for antique stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottF

Aug 7, 2008
Southern NH
I have an antique parlor stove that I had completely restored that I will use to burn wood. The stove currently has 4 panels on the front of the burn chamber that have MICA in them for viewing of the fire. The mica is held in a cast iron frame and has another cast iron plate that bolts on the inside to hold it in place. I would like to take out the Mica and install a clear glass for functionality purposes. It would be much easier to clean regularly and not so very fragile like the Mica. My questions are as follows:

What kind of glass would I purchase to replace this mica? I know it has to be heat resistant. i.e. plate glass, tempered glass etch

Where do I purchase this glass ?

What would I use to glaze it with? High heat silicone, furnace cement etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 895
Wow, what a beauty. If wanting to go with clear glass that can be cut to size, I think neoceram is one type that can be used. I think I would call around to a couple of stove shops (with glass dimensions) and see what they offer for replacements.

For the installation of the glass, is there any way that you could use the small diameter rope (flat or round) gasket, and sandwich the new glass into place (with the back bracket)?

Thanks Jags. I was able to find neoceram on line just by searching the name. I found a place that can custom cut it to patterns also. That was the ticket I was looking for. I will try the idea with the gasket. One way or another I will make it work. Thanks again

Be aware that you will want to keep the "loading" of the glass very even. You don't want spots that have more pressure than others (or very minimally). The gasket material may actually help even that out, or disperse the pressure areas.

Be aware that you will want to keep the “loading” of the glass very even. You don’t want spots that have more pressure than others (or very minimally). The gasket material may actually help even that out, or disperse the pressure areas.

Problem I may have is that the mica is slightly bent or curved as it sits in a round door. That is why I was thinking at first that I may want to set it in some sort of high temperature stove sealent or silicone. I might have to leave the back plate shimmed out or a little loose and fill the gaps at the glass with sealent. I will check tonight to see how curved it is. I doubt they can curve that glass

ScottF said:
Be aware that you will want to keep the “loading” of the glass very even. You don’t want spots that have more pressure than others (or very minimally). The gasket material may actually help even that out, or disperse the pressure areas.

Problem I may have is that the mica is slightly bent or curved as it sits in a round door. That is why I was thinking at first that I may want to set it in some sort of high temperature stove sealent or silicone. I might have to leave the back plate shimmed out or a little loose and fill the gaps at the glass with sealent. I will check tonight to see how curved it is. I doubt they can curve that glass

You may find a combination of all will be the answer. Gasket, gasket cement, shims, etc.

I would stick with the mica at least until I was familiar with the stove and it's operation. My concern would be the stove door curvature and the possible introduction of air leaks around the glass. The glass or mica is going to get sooty. Usually all one saw through them was a red glow.

Mica is available and would be period correct. It apparently served generations satisfactorily. I think that, if it were my beautiful old stove, I'd try that first. If it turned out I wasn't satisfied with it's performance in the future, then I'd look into a modern replacement. Just my thoughts. Rick

I agree with staying with the mica as well. One thing to consider (if you get the glass to fit and seal, etc) is there is no air wash system and the glass might just get dirty and stay that way unless you clean it on a regular basis.

That sure is a beutiful stove, nice job on the resto. Any before pics? KD

Scott that is a beautiful stove, our 1st stove was a Franklin that had 6 glass windows we replaced with 'isinglass'...maybe it's another name for mica...I dunno but you could cut it to shape and curve it. Pretty sure it came in 6x4 sq in sheets. if you have a an old hardware store in town they may have it.

You might also consider a thick piece of glass ground down near the edges to approximate the beginning of the curve. That would at least reduce the gap between the glass and iron towards the middle and may allow a gasket to fit a bit better.

I agree with staying with the mica as well. One thing to consider (if you get the glass to fit and seal, etc) is there is no air wash system and the glass might just get dirty and stay that way unless you clean it on a regular basis.

That sure is a beutiful stove, nice job on the resto. Any before pics? KD

Ill have to look for the before pics we have them somewhere, but it was basically a large piece of rust. I know that I can find Isenglass or Mica. The reason why I wanted to change it to glass is that we will use the stove as a daily user. I want to be able to clean the glass each morning before we fire it up on a regular basis. The mica is just too fragile to do this . You barely touch your finger to it and it can break. It doesnt allow us to clean it very easily. I like the grinding Idea. Some way I will make it work and make it airtight . Maybe I will use the mica for a while to see how it goes. Thanks for the ideas

Hi
Yes you can get bowed glass but it's so very, very expensive and you would have to get exactly the right curve and size. I think it would be a whole project on it's own and I think it would make her look a bit "reproduction" With mica sheets you can cut them with scissors and fit them in minutes.
If you need mica sheets:

North America: stovemica.com

U.K. and Europe: stovemica.co.uk

Regards FTW.

Attachments

• mica-panels (623 x 430).jpg
    mica-panels (623 x 430).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 359
Status
Not open for further replies.