1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What Kind Of Gravel For Driveway?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by velvetfoot, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I am grateful our driveway is fairly level. Gravel is pretty forgiving when, say, an outrigger of a triaxle load of logs digs a hole :) . Plus there's no stupid sealing with that smelly crap every couple of years. On the whole, for me, it hasn't been too bad. (Of course, there's the occasionl broken shear pin on the snow blower, but what the hay.)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Not at all, I have used regular gravel and the asphalt tailings. It is dry and has no sticky particles in it. Not dirty at all. Just dusty like regular gravel when it gets very dry. Packs like iron. We even went over a clay area and thought we would have problems but none at all.
  3. akhilljack

akhilljack New Member

Loc:
    fairbanks ak
    other than paving up here the good stuff is compressed d-1. most of it is made of chunks of granite or marble its bluish black. looks good and plows good in the winter. hardly any one paves here it costs like 20 grand for putting 18 inches of compacted gravel and then paving on top of that for a pretty small driveway. then in the winter it frost heave's like crazy, so it realy only lasts a couple of years. i cant see paying that when its ruined after a few years, i would rather just put 3 or 4 hundred dollars of gravel down and compacting it my self.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.