What Kind Of Gravel For Driveway?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am grateful our driveway is fairly level. Gravel is pretty forgiving when, say, an outrigger of a triaxle load of logs digs a hole :) . Plus there's no stupid sealing with that smelly crap every couple of years. On the whole, for me, it hasn't been too bad. (Of course, there's the occasionl broken shear pin on the snow blower, but what the hay.)

I think the asphalt is actually the tailings from asphalt milling, (those machines that grind the road before a repaving job and drive you nuts). A very good material, but I’ve always worried about tracking black junk into the house. Had any problem with this?

Not at all, I have used regular gravel and the asphalt tailings. It is dry and has no sticky particles in it. Not dirty at all. Just dusty like regular gravel when it gets very dry. Packs like iron. We even went over a clay area and thought we would have problems but none at all.

other than paving up here the good stuff is compressed d-1. most of it is made of chunks of granite or marble its bluish black. looks good and plows good in the winter. hardly any one paves here it costs like 20 grand for putting 18 inches of compacted gravel and then paving on top of that for a pretty small driveway. then in the winter it frost heave's like crazy, so it realy only lasts a couple of years. i cant see paying that when its ruined after a few years, i would rather just put 3 or 4 hundred dollars of gravel down and compacting it my self.

Status
Not open for further replies.