what kind of lawn mower do you have?? pic request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
i have an older Honda honda i picked up off CL last year - dad had one while growing up and loved it

plastic deck and starts on the first pull (just started it for the first mow of the season) but i tuned it up in the fall (new oil, cleaned the deck, sharpened the blade, changed the plug and air filter)

Honda-HRR216K3VXA-large.jpg

and then i have an old murry lawn tractor i picked up a month ago t move the wood but it's got a deck but i haven't mowed with it yet

wood.jpg

I have a frankenmower made from free mowers. One neighbor threw out a 6.5hp mower that had crappy wheels/deck but a new motor and another one threw out a perfectly good mower with a small motor and deck.

When I got the small one running fine by shortening the throttle spring and changing the plug. I asked the neighbor if he wanted it back and he said no.

So I swapped the big motor onto the small deck and have a great mower that doesn't bog down. I never got the cut off working right so I have to turn it off by knocking the spark plug wire off with a stick. *shrug* Redneck engineering at it's finest. The small deck has a small bag that goes on the back for the one or two times a year I actually care about bagging.

Come to think about it, in the 8 years I've had my own house, actually 2 houses I've never bought a mower. It's always been a freebee. I'm currently looking for a nice Delco alternator to add to a spare motor to make a generator.

Matt

I just drive this thing around in circles and mulch mow.

YT3000.jpg

Sometimes I sweep afterward if there are too many clumps and of course in the Fall I sweep up the leaves.

100_0259.jpg

I got the same craftsman push mower as you. Picked it up at the local dealer with next to no time on it. Owner traded it in for a self propelled. Looking hard at finding a good lawn tractor. Neighbor has an old JD 111, but from what I've heard it's more of a mower than a tractor.

john deere la 135 limited edition lawn tractor

Attachments

• LA135SE_504418_large.jpg
    LA135SE_504418_large.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,218
smokinj said:
john deere la 135 limited edition lawn tractor
(mowing 2 acers)

Backroads said:
I got the same craftsman push mower as you...
News flash... you don't need to push it, just sit on the seat and steer. %-P

Of course, when it's not mowing or sweeping, I put it to work doing other things. I have a small poly dump cart for hauling soil, mulch, manure, or firewood.

100_0171.jpg

When it's time to get serious with the firewood, I borrow the neighbor's trailer.

100_0181.jpg

I think it's time I get my own trailer and I have my eye on this number from HF.

47845.gif

Nice stacking there

Honda.
DSC04263.jpg

This is the hydrostatic drive one with rotostop blade. I bought it last year. I bought it to replace the Honda mower that mt father bought when I was 11 in 1981. That mower worked for 26 seasons with minimal maintenance. In the fall of '07 it just siezed up and wouldn't start again. If I get 20+ years out of this one, I'll be happy. The Honda machines are a little pricey, but the quality is there. It started on the first pull last week after sitting all winter. I can switch from bag to mulch with a lever. It has a dual blade setup and it will plow through even the tallest grass when I get lazy.
This is the web page for it.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/...P2LM&modelname=HRX217K2HXA&modelid=HRX2172HXA

Backroads said:
I actually also have a Craftsman rear bagger push mower with the really big rear wheels. It rolls very easily on my uneven lawn. I use it on the lowest setting to mow the walkways. The wife insists that I cut it short and bag so she doesn't get wet grass clippings on her shoes.

Mines 28 yrs old,,,just went to hardware store,,,I`ll see if he wants to pose when he gets back! :coolsmirk: He pushes a 10 yr. old Honda!

I have the Husqvarna version of that Sears GT3000. To get a gear drive instead of hydro I had to take one with a 52" deck which is impossible to use mowing the uneven terrain around here. I took it off and bought a used commercial 12hp 5 speed with reverse 36" walk-behind at a bankruptcy sale for $125. Nobody bid against me because the start rope wouldn't engage. I brought it home and used the universal Briggs and Stratton start clutch repair tool, ball peen hammer, and tapped it once and it was fixed. Dang things cost $2,500 new and this one is an older model but in great shape. Started on the second pull this year.

Now I just use the Husky for hauling wood out of the woods and plowing snow. That monster mower deck is in the shed.

His name is Eddie :coolsmile: , he lives 2 houses down, and owns a landscaping business ;-)

For what he charges me every 2 weeks or so to mow the "grass", it'd be ridiculous to buy a lawn mower. He does the whole block on the same day, he calls it his "green" day !

Sorry, no pic :lol:

I do like the SO's John Deere with dump trailer, how ever :)

BrotherBart said:
...a 52" deck which is impossible to use mowing the uneven terrain around here...
IKWYM
I have the 42" deck and even with that size I have to contour mow so as not to scalp the high spots. My theory at first was to scalp then and even it out some but the cheap OEM blades would nosedive into the soft clay and bend. I have tougher Gator blades now but they're too expensive to run into the ground.

I bought a plug aerator that I will make extra passes with over the high spots with the hope that the high spots will subside and the plugs fall into the low spots. Next on the list is to make a roller from an old propane tank if I can find one for free.

LLigetfa said:
Backroads said:

news flash??? I was refering to the picture of the PUSH mower that was posted in the first post. Mine looks exactly like it without the self propelled drive. :roll:

after my fatherinlaws frankenmower died I bought my first mower, a returned craftsman 4 horse rear-bag push mower with large rear wheels. I didn't want a self-propelled mower as I find the speeds too slow for me, this was hard to find, only as a return at sears, all current floor models were self propelled or push mowers that didn't have the large rear wheels. 4 horse is kinda small these days and even back in '01 it was on the small end of power, the large rear wheels make it pivot easily and roll with a full bag of grass easily. I only have .25 acre so bagging is no big deal. Hey I just figured out that the oil change is due! it has only been 8 years!

Backroads said:
LLigetfa said:
Backroads said:

news flash??? I was refering to the picture of the PUSH mower that was posted in the first post. My looks exactly like it without the self propelled drive. :roll:
Well then, it's easy to see where I got confused since I was the first to show a Craftsman and that first pic is obviously a Honda. But hey, I forgive you. %-P

LLigetfa said:
Backroads said:
LLigetfa said:
Backroads said:

news flash??? I was refering to the picture of the PUSH mower that was posted in the first post. My looks exactly like it without the self propelled drive. :roll:
Well then, it's easy to see where I got confused since I was the first to show a Craftsman and that first pic is obviously a Honda. But hey, I forgive you. %-P

If this was in Picture Perfect, I would Preferably Prefer to Pronounce that,,that first Picture of a Push mower Posted in the first Post, is Profoundly a Perfect Picture of a Push mower "Brochure" But then I` just bored.

JD 420

Attachments

• DSCF0192.JPG
    DSCF0192.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 424
LLigetfa said:
Backroads said:
LLigetfa said:
Backroads said:

The push mower is a Honda with a Craftsman decal on it. Same exact mower...sold at a different store.

Anyways, I just picked up a JD STX38 today for $100, pics to follow..batteries are dead. So from now on I will just sit on the seat and steer like you so kindly suggest.

PS-There's no need for you to forgive me because you made a mistake and are quick to be sarcastic and demeanoring.

EatenByLimestone said:
... I never got the cut off working right so I have to turn it off by knocking the spark plug wire off with a stick. *shrug* Redneck engineering at it's finest.
Matt

Attach a wire tie/zip strip to the plug wire next to the plug and use that to pull off the wire. Works on my splitter.

I have an older Crapsman lawn tractor, 16hp IIRC - we use it to chop down the jungle periodically, I try to catch it during times when most of the weeds have finished blooming - I hate trimming flowers that could be feeding my bees... we also have a 21" push Crapsman mower of unknown vintage that I've sometimes used around the pool (can't get the tractor through the gate in the pool fence), but find that a weed whacker does almost as good at that (Echo PAS system, weed whacker and brush trimmer)

Gooserider

Gravely 2552HD and 3 people in the family (wife, son, and one due in July) that enjoy mowing more than myself.

Attachments

• 101_0727.jpg
    101_0727.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 418
  • 101_0728.jpg
    101_0728.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 419
Status
Not open for further replies.